Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Great photo!

Note the number of rifles still in service with early swivels, no top swivel and the near total absence of slings! Photos like this confirm the fact that most Russian studio photos were taken with the soldiers actual rifles. Here's one of my all time favorites! This photo is a lesson in understanding the need for ersatz sling swivels added by Germany and Austria-Hungary to captured M91s.

The soldier on the left has a rifle with a sling swivel on the magazine housing, but no swivel on the top barrel band. His buddy has a M91 with no swivel on the mag housing, but with a swivel on the top barrel band! No point in swapping them out since neither of them has a sling!

LOL ! So the next time you find a mix-master, there's no telling as to whether or not it was issued that way during the Great War!

Ya gotta luv Ivan for toughing it out, all the while suffering during the course of four long years of continual Russian logistical problems! OUCH!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Roughly three hundred rifles pictured. Maybe a forum member has one? Maybe not.

And JPS, next time you run into the fellow on the right in your favorite picture, might you ask if I could swap front bands with him, please?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
THAT is one of the COOLEST Mosin pictures I have ever seen! I thought the picture with the US troops in England on the dock by the boat with M91s was pretty cool, or the other pic of the US soldiers in the field on the Russian Expedition going through rifle inspection with the bolts in their hands and the officer walking the line looking down the barrels. This one I think may just top it. Want to go back in time, freeze it at that moment, and try not to knock everything over looking for a 1892 dated M91! haha!! Looks like the feller standing there with the spike helmet on is on his celly texting us what they all are haha! Oh, wait. That's the new generation of folks coming up with their portable handheld lap tops!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have a feeling a few forum members have rifles stocked up that look like that picture LOL!

I wonder if my 1896 rifle was in a similar pile at one point during its life since it's Austrian marked?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.