Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this strange pouch for a while now and can't find any info on it. It appears Polish, or German cavalry maybe? But nothing I've seen matches exactly as far as stitching and hardware.

The coolest part is the inclusion of three wooden blocks. Each block has 12 holes, which are ~9.3*34mm roughly. This seems exactly the size of nagant revolver ammo. There are well made brass screws securing them on the bottom, and marks on the top of the flaps indicating ammo being stored for some time. Definitely doesn't seem to be a Bubba job.

Any ideas? What country of origin are the circular and other text?

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
I am no expert, but the pouches look an awful lot like the wartime Russian ones for 7.62X54R to me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had this strange pouch for a while now and can't find any info on it. It appears Polish, or German cavalry maybe? But nothing I've seen matches exactly as far as stitching and hardware.

The coolest part is the inclusion of three wooden blocks. Each block has 12 holes, which are ~9.3*34mm roughly. This seems exactly the size of nagant revolver ammo. There are well made brass screws securing them on the bottom, and marks on the top of the flaps indicating ammo being stored for some time. Definitely doesn't seem to be a Bubba job.

Any ideas? What country of origin are the circular and other text?

View attachment 3752364

View attachment 3752365

View attachment 3752366

View attachment 3752367

View attachment 3752368
They actually look a lot like some of the Turkish Mauser pouches that came in back in the 90's. Along with the rifles there were bayonets, ammo pouches and a ton of 8mm ammo. I had a number of pouches that looked just like these, except for the blocks of course. Most had no clear markings though a couple I had were originally German with a German makers name. I would suspect that someone here added the blocks to fit a personal use they had for the pouches.

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
This is a REALLY inefficient way to carry around only 36 rounds of extra ammunition, if you ask me. It might be a field expedient way to carry the ammunition, but I don't figure that they were factory made for this purpose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts