Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
The U.S. helmet is a Model 1917, from WWI. I see you asked on the German militaria forum before you got the stuff. I suggest you try there again not only for the flag, but on the helmets. The German M42, if everything is kosher, is pushing $1,000 retail from what I've seen, but those folks would know better than I. They might be able to help on the Italian M33, too. Nice bunch of stuff.

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
That's the one he means. Guadalcanal patch in this case is a 2nd Marine Division patch. What's the guy's history?

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
Information on the owner of the uniform in question.........Inducted in May 1941 in the 164th Infantry stationed in Claibourne, LA. March 1942, he left Seatle WA on the President Coolidge Ocean Liner. After a month at sea arrived at Melbourne, Austrailian. He served with the Anti-tank Company in the Guadalcanal and Bougainville Islands in the South Pacific until his return in October 1944. He then served with the Military Police in Texarkana until his discharge in May 1945. This as accounted by his wife.. So now guys what do you think about the validity of the patches on his uniform??
Keep a written record of that history with it. It would be better if you had his actual service records. After reading about the 164th Infantry Regiment, it could theoretically be possible that they were assigned to a Marine division while on Guadalcanal & were authorized to wear that patch. It would be hard to say without some documentation that that happened. Given that history, I wouldn't take any of the patches off.

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
I found this thread on another forum: http://http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/board/showthread.php?p=34361
with this statement:
'The Americal was authorized to wear the 1st Marine "Guadalcanal" Patch on their right shoulders.
According to Marine Les Groshong, who posts to Grunts, the 164th was known as the "Little Marines" or "the 164th Marines", a sign of great respect from the 1st Marine Division. Chesty Puller is credited with the comment, "Those farm boys can fight".'
The only problem being that the patch on your tunic is an early 2nd Marine Division patch, which looks very similar to the 1st Marine Division patch. Certainly makes it seem more legitimate, though.

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
And it won't be called a DD-214 unless he got a copy of his service records after 1950. It was a War Department Adjutant General's form before that, although I don't know the complete title.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.