Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first 4 photos are the German cannister and mask, showing proofs (WaA140 on the mask and an eagle proof on the filter).

The next 4 photos are the Czechoslovakian cannister and mask, showing Czech acceptance markings on the mask and filter (E <lion> 38).

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Your German mask is one used by the Luftschutz - Air raid protective service - and issued to air raid wardens. They also wore a distinctive helmet with the Luftschutz eagle on it. Like our Civil Defense guys durring the war.
This same mask was available for civilian purchase, but came in a cardboard box.
You don't see the cans to often.
Sarge

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what would be safe to clean the lenses with? They've got something on them that ran down the middle of one lens. I'd also be interested in finding out what to treat the rubber with (if anytihng) to keep it from drying out and cracking. My first thought was "Armor-All", but I doubt it's very good for the material in the long run...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
No idea how to clean either the mask or lense. I would suppose warm soapy water - mild soap - but really don't know.
Yes I have seen masks with a talcum powder type stuff on it. I have a small bakelite container that has something it in to clean mask, lense or both? It is sealed so I've never opened it. IF I can find it I'll see what it may say on the label.
Sarge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts