Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nagant pictured is believed to have been brought home by my dad after the war. How it came into his possession is a family mystery since he passed years ago without passing on the story. He was a member of the 2nd Division, 38th Infantry Regiment, Company D and fought in the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. I'm guessing the gun is from the Tula Arsenal around 1943-1944, but I can't find the arsenal marks on the gun....any help placing the age, origin and value of the gun would be appreciated. The tag attached shows he must have claimed the weapon upon separation in July 1946.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He had a tag attached to the ring of the gun with his rank Pvt., 2nd Plt. and the frame number of the gun. Which I interpret as Private 2nd Platoon. So that's the clue that he brought it home from the war.
Thanks for your comments.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW...that is a surprise...the number on the frame is 38062 and the number on the trigger guard is 15764 so they don't match. Is it possible this a WWI model that was remanufactured or refurbished for WWII. I can see what appears to be the top of a star on the right side above the screws, however I can't send a close up until next month. The gun is stored at another location and I be back there in July. I'll look for the cylinder number and the AC number then. Based on the sights, handle and other characteristics do you think it was from the 1900 Imperial Tula Ordinance Factory?

thanks for your response

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Joe,
Here are a few more pictures of the gun. The serial number on the cylinder matches the one on the frame. Unfortunately, it's removal wasn't obvious to me and I didn't want to attempt to dismantle the gun. The hammer looks like a double action one, so it looks like this gun covers several eras. The left side is completely smooth with no signs of an arsenal mark. The right side has what looks like the point of a star. I appreciate any other feedback you can supply on its age.
Thank you.
John

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nagant body and cylinder numbers match

Hi Joe,
I had the opportunity to remove the cylinder on the Nagant this weekend. The picture of the front of it is posted here. The number on it, 38062, matches the number on the frame. Hopefully this provides enough information to date the original production time of the gun. It was also interesting to note the powder residue inside each chamber.
I look forward to your comment.
Thanks for your help on the identification and age of the gun. I have learned allot since the original post.
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.