Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i look at it like getting some of the federal taxes i paid over 43 years back.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,492 Posts
Those where the last truly hands on assembly before mechanism took over.. pre model 10’s
I have the very last pistols in the commercial hand ejector builds..
a 1947 unfired

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Hey eastbank! Congrats on your new toy! :) The marking on the cylinder strap - initials - appear perhaps GHD = Guy H Drewry an Army Ordinance Officer as inspector markings.
A Question. Above, are you indicating above that none of the SN's match or that all several match excepting the grips? The serial number on the butt doesn't match the font or evenness of any original S&W serial number I've seen.
Looks a nice 'working gun' with bonus US military history! I also know that you have a manner of ferreting out great deals.
Congrats!
Best & Stay Safe!

Addendum: Tried to PM you recently, but your box is FULL! :) Nothing important anyway.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Agree with Iskra, the serial numbering looks odd.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
barrel-cylinder-butt numbers match, the grips have a different number. the revolver has been in the same familey for over 60 years. it shoots pretty good, at 20 yards with S&B wadcutters two handed double action along with a S&W 10-5 for comparison. i did notice the last three numbers(162) in the serial number is a little lower. if it was messed with, it was in the late 50,s-early 60,s when it was worth maybe 40-50 dollars.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'm wondering whether the US military might have renumbered the frame. Momentarily to the Internet, located & copied a Victory butt serial number as specimen. See below. Such proximate to all style numbering I've seen. Not that many Victory models I've personally encountered, but a wide variety of Smith wheelguns before and after the big WWII.
Dan, that's a beautiful "pre Model 10" in the "C" range. I've got the equivalent in a 2" round butt.
Anyway... Above serialization matter, just my take.
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm wondering whether the US military might have renumbered the frame.
Nope. The US military did not "renumber" Victory Model frames.

Eastbank has a nice, high condition example with the only minor flaw being the non-matching stocks, a common issue with these guns. Eastbank's Victory likely shipped from the factory in the June, 1943 time frame.

Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes indeed, that is a very nice Victory Model. The serial numbers are exactly as they were stamped back in 1943.

It's way nicer than mine, although mine still has matching grips.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,492 Posts
I read that and my commercial 38 last your V were truly hand fitted models..

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
The number "1" doesn't look like the same font:

IMAG0569.jpg
DSCN0748 (2).JPG

It looks like the earlier pre-Victory font style.

:confused::confused::confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts