Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
To elaborate a little type 2 paratroop rifles never came with monopods inspite of what the osprey book and others may imply. The type 100 (aka type 99 aka type 0) paratroop rifle did as they were somewhat crude conversions made from standard early production nagoya and kokura type 99 rifles . However these are quite rare and differ significantly from the type 2.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I remember seeing a Type 2 that clearly had the monopod grooving in the lower wood by the front band but did not have the monopd provision at the rear band. I just assumed that some Type 2s had monopods that were later removed by the Japanese. Any truth to that?

- tge

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
It may have had a monopod on it, but not originally. My bet says someone stateside put on on it a long time ago trying to make it "right" and it found its way back off later. Another highly likely possibility is that the forestock was cutoff (sporterized) and later replaced with a piece from any ole type 99 stock that was handy. Ive seen alot of type 2s, from really early to really late and havent seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It may have had a monopod on it, but not originally. My bet says someone stateside put on on it a long time ago trying to make it "right" and it found its way back off later. Another highly likely possibility is that the forestock was cutoff (sporterized) and later replaced with a piece from any ole type 99 stock that was handy. Ive seen alot of type 2s, from really early to really late and havent seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.

Having just seen the post of a Type 2 with the forestock replaced, your theory makes some sense.

- tge

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.