Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I were at her grandparents house doing yard work for them. After we were done I was talking to her grandfather about his time in the war. I asked if he brought back any war trophies and he mentioned he had a Walther pistol. When he said Walther I thought he meant a P38. Instead he brought out a PPK. How much would it be worth?

-It looks blued so it's not a late war gun
-Nazi markings
-The serial number is 154xxx and everything matches but the magazine
-There is some holster wear on the slide but not much, I'd say its in 90% to 95%
-Holster is Nazi marked
-Only one magazine
-Barrel is excellent, not even any dust
-Grips are black. plastic with Walther on the top

I assume he doesn't want to sell it but he would like to know how much it's worth. Since I'm the only one who's actually shows any interest in his war stories I'll probably get it when he dies; even though I'm not in the family.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The blue should be a high gloss blue. What do you mean the mag doesn't match? Is there a letter - a K - after the ser nr? Is the safety a 90° drop or only about 60°.
The pistol is either a Very Early PPK or was made about 1940. IF an early one then it will be worth a lot of $$$. I now longer collect PP/PPK pistols so am not current on values.
Sarge

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,059 Posts
FYI-Walther started PP production at 750000 and PPK's at 757000. 154000 would have a k after it and would be around 1940 production as Sarge stated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The blue should be a high gloss blue. What do you mean the mag doesn't match? Is there a letter - a K - after the ser nr? Is the safety a 90° drop or only about 60°.
The pistol is either a Very Early PPK or was made about 1940. IF an early one then it will be worth a lot of $$$. I now longer collect PP/PPK pistols so am not current on values.
Sarge
The blue is high gloss. The numbers on the magazine don't match the pistol. I was able to look at it again and the serial number is 154xxxx, so it's in the 1.5 million range. The serial number didn't have a K after I think. The safety is a 60° drop.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you sure this pistol is a Walther PPK and not a Walther PP. Are the black grips 1 or 2 piece, with or without a grip backstrap? A picture would help.
GES..........................

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Thanx GR, I was only looking at the 54000 of the 154 and thinking 754.

NO Walther PP or PPK pistols were numbered that high. The PPK went to 1,006,747. These were in the original production run and all had the crown N proof mark. The late war guns only got into the low 430,000 range.

High gloss blue would incicate ptroduction no later than 1942.
Please look at the pistol again and get us some photos.
Sarge

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try to get photos and look at the gun more closely. I'm starting to think this is a post war pistol that he picked up somewhere and was told it was a bring back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the pistol is high blue the way to tell WWII from Past war is the left hand slide ledgend. If it says Ulm/Do. it is post war. If the slide ledgend says Zella-Mehlis (Thur.) it is WWII. at the same place it will say Mod. PP or Mod. PPK.
Good Luck!
GES..........................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts