Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. I am strongly considering purchasing a Chauchat. Not my first machine gun purchase. I have inspected a '68 amnesty registered Dewat CSRG 1917 mfg. No Finnish markings, only French. Only dewat feature is a very slightly welded chamber.

Does anyone know if a Lebel or Berthier barrel will interchange or is readily modified to fit?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'd recommend you get the book Honor Bound: the Chauchat Machine Rifle. I haven't had extensive hands-on with one, but nowhere in the book is anything like that mentioned. The CSRG was based on the similar earlier CS 1913 rifle, and I imagine the barrel would've been more similar to that.

·
Diamond Member
539 Posts
My 2 cents . . . .

I know a fella that sezs he is re-watting a Chau-Chau using a Mle 1886/93 barrel. That's all he has told me, I don't know what if anything had or has to be done to the barrel to make it usable.
:confused:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
If the original CSRG 15 parts, the rear barrel extension and the front cooling sleeve can be re-used, a Berthier or Lebel long rifle barrel (Musketoon barrels are too short) can be easily machined and used as a replacement part.

kelt

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,647 Posts
I'd recommend you get the book Honor Bound: the Chauchat Machine Rifle. I haven't had extensive hands-on with one, but nowhere in the book is anything like that mentioned. The CSRG was based on the similar earlier CS 1913 rifle, and I imagine the barrel would've been more similar to that.
Actually it is mentioned in the book, barrels were used from Mle.1886's one that were modified to fit the firearm.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You may want to post this question on the Machine Gun Forum. There are several gunsmiths that have activated a number of these. I also own one with the barrel welded at the chamber, and another that is fully functional. It is important to get the extractor cutouts correctly timed to the bolt from what I understand. I enjoy shooting mine. Good luck on getting her up and running again.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to fully investigate the costs of making a new barrel before investing. The gun I am considering is near perfect. Wood 99.9%, blue about 95-98%, left bipod leg slightly bent. Barrel was obviously removed from gun, lightly welded then reinstalled. Bolt face was untouched and mags had orange plusses painted on them. I'll keep you posted. Project is "Wife pre-approved" so funding is in place (!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Kelt. I've always wanted a Chauchat and I know what I am getting into. They were not optimal for trench conditions but the one I fired 22 years ago ran just fine. OK, it was 72 degrees, sunny, no rain, clean, good ammo, no snow, no ice, no mud, no hostile fire. Did I mention no mud?

It should be a lot of fun and a good investment. When I was in high school in the late-1980's Chauchats were $400 and nobody wanted one.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,647 Posts
They worked quite well for what they were designed for at the time ... we are looking at them from hind-sight, back then it was a new thing on the block, they worked well if you followed the instruction and schools that taught them how to use them properly.

Patrick

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Depending on how it was welded,it may be quite simple to clean up the chamber and just use the existing barrel.They can also be re-activated by fitting a sleeve into the existing chamber area,and re-chambering.Most barrels with welded up chambers can be returned to firing condition,rather than discarded.The deciding factor is more likely the condition of the rifling/bore (whether its worth doing or not) rather than the chamber work required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.