Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi looking to bay a 8x18 file trim die or a trim jig similar to the ones used to trim 223 brass to 300 blackout but for trimming 9 mm Luger brass to 9 mm Makarov please pm me with what you have. Not interested in Lee quick trim die
Thanks​

·
Gold Bullet Member
18,192 Posts
How much you planning on trimming? Do you shoot at a public range?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much you planning on trimming? Do you shoot at a public range?
I usually trim at least 200 at a time. I’m looking to increase that to between 500 and a 1000. And yes I shoot at a public range. I paint the head stamp with the cheapest, most hideous, pink/red nail polish so I can identify my brass and to let others know that there is something different about my brass! I don’t want anyone mistaking my brass for 9x19 (Luger) brass.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Lee Case Length Gauge & Shell Holder, 9x18mm Makarov #90684 with the Cutter + Lock Stud #90110 is the only thing that they offer. Not sure about other manufacturers. Works well but can take a toll on the hands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve got the Lee trimmer and case length gauge I’ve worn out 2 of them that’s why I’m looking for a file trim die. And yes my hands can’t handle another Lee!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen a file trim die offered for 9X18. I suspect that if you really want one you'll be looking at having one made for you.
Do 'they' even make such a thing for straight walled rimless cartridge configurations? Seems like a challenge. Not being an engineer, not sure, but where there's a will there will be a way.
Perhaps a small appropriately sized hardened cylinder to 'stack' on top of the Lee lock stud arrangement for use in a small drill press, or with a file. One idea anyhow.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’ve got the Lee trimmer and case length gauge I’ve worn out 2 of them that’s why I’m looking for a file trim die. And yes my hands can’t handle another Lee!

Wow! Are you using it on steel cases? Mine is still in excellent shape with no real signs of wear but is only used on brass cases. I trim the once fired cases, keep the batches together by head stamp/# of times loaded, and usually do not trim a second time before scrapping the cases. Crimps should stay uniform as long as the batches are tracked and kept together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Are you using it on steel cases? Mine is still in excellent shape with no real signs of wear but is only used on brass cases. I trim the once fired cases, keep the batches together by head stamp/# of times loaded, and usually do not trim a second time before scrapping the cases. Crimps should stay uniform as long as the batches are tracked and kept together.
I’ve never reloaded steel cased ammo. It can be done but it’s bad on the dies.
I'm trimmer 9x19 to 9x18. I like to do at least 200 at a time like I said in post 3. Lee trim dies don’t last. Other than making 9x18, I’ve been rolling my own since the 80’s and I’ve never seen a need to trim pistol brass. Revolvor, yes but never pistol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't think I've ever seen a file trim die offered for 9X18. I suspect that if you really want one you'll be looking at having one made for you.
Do 'they' even make such a thing for straight walled rimless cartridge configurations? Seems like a challenge. Not being an engineer, not sure, but where there's a will there will be a way.
Perhaps a small appropriately sized hardened cylinder to 'stack' on top of the Lee lock stud arrangement for use in a small drill press, or with a file. One idea anyhow.
ch4d makes them, I believe RCBS use to. They work great with a jeweler’s, saw or even one of those mini chop saws. Nice and quick! Then ya just true them up with a normal case trimmer. The ch4d dies are not cheep That’s why I was hoping to find a used one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts