Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my just completed "BIG-5" sourced '43 Maltby No4Mk1 this morning for the first time and man I'm still grinning! What a sweet shooting rifle, probably best bolt action milsurp I've ever fired! Smooth trigger, slick bolt action, and very nicely balanced - found it to be deadly accurate at the 125 yrds distance we were limited to, and despite initial reservations was able to adapt to peep sight quickly. I shot 150 grain Federal softpoints as that was only .303 ammo I could find locally - will be mail ordering shortly!!
Oh yeah -on the way home I stopped by our 2nd "Big-5" and made them same $$ "sale price" offer for a very clean '43 Maltby No4Mk1 on their rack that had got me my first one! Gun counter guy said to expect a "yes" call from store manager tomorrow. I also looked over a very nice "US Property" No4 while there, and "yes, I'm sure we could sale price it too".............it's all downhill from here isn't it?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
You're done...there's no cure once the virus has incubated. I'm hoping to get in some range time tomorrow, the problem being that it's gotten so bad with me that it takes a hour or so just to decide which rifles to take.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What sale price are you talking about? Did you negotiate something on your own, or is it their monthly deal? I've got two No.4s but I'm a sucker for a bargain.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BIG-5 "deals"

I have purchased several "not on sale" rifles from local BIG-5's [and favorite gunshop] by offering them $$ based on prices listed in mailorder catalogs I get from from Century, SOG, CenterFire, MGS etc. I paid $139.00 [it was marked at $199.00!!!!] for this excellent condition No4Mk1 w/bayo etc., made same $$ offer on a similar condition one which I expect to pick up today or tomorrow from store #2 - sort of a "hey your other store did this, will you?" deal. I really like to "touchie feelie" milsurps prior to buying whenever possible - if BIG-5 or gunshops won't accept offer then I can always C&R order. Certainly never hurts to ask!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another one

My offer was accepted so I'll be picking up the second "BIG-5" No4Mk1 tonite, it too by the way was "everyday" tag priced at $199.90.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S.

Interesting note: when I picked up rifle last nite store manager said the reason "corporate" accepted my "offers" on the two No4Mk1's is that distribution warehouse is nearly out of Enfield No4Mk1's and BIG-5 won't be restocking when they are gone. Also "corporate" refused to "deal" on the Savage No4's because they have a good supply of them and will be receiving more.[!]
So......if you have access to BIG-5 stores and would like to get a Enfield No4Mk1 - might be a good time to make 'em an offer they won't refuse! Bottom dollar accepted locally was $139.00 but...........
Oh yeah, the "#2" No4 is in very good "as is" condition and will clean up really well. Awfully glad the Enfield bug bit me when it did!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts