Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
11,794 Posts
Reminds me of an M44 I saw locally earlier this year. I knew it must have come from one of the Finnish imports, but it just didn't have the SA mark to prove it.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
It's all about demand. The Swedes has such a wide range of sale prices from the word go. Around here, a plain ol regular 96 will bring $400 in a flash. The same guys who pay that price probably wouldn't give an SA marked one a second thought. A rifle as you describe SHOULD bring bigger bucks. But, I haven't seen one do it. Got one??

· Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Yeah...just bought it and am awaiting delivery. I was asking about what it might bring, not because I want to sell it...not by a long shot, I like Swedes too much...rather to get an idea of how I did buying it. Based on your guesstimate and all variables involved, I did about average for a regular Swede in this condition. The SA mark is an added bonus as far as I'm concerned, if only because if I were to sell it down the road, I would offer it to a Finn collector first...

Thanks for info!

· Gold Bullet Member
10,013 Posts
"If a gun as rare as a Finn M38 brings that much...what would a Finn, all matching, non-threaded barrel, CG M96 bring?"

How many were sent to Finland? 75K? Something like that....?

MosinNagant.net says something around 2k of SA M38's are out there....Some of which are M44's? SA or D stamped M38's & M44's are pretty rare in my book...

This is one of my finds of a lifetime....it was bubba'd & I restored it....(one o the reasons I intensely dislike bubba....)

Pahtu.

· Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Thanks to all who responded...now I have a little more perspective as to value.

The beauty for me is that I managed to pick it up for the same price as is average for a very clean 1920 M96. Not a "killer deal" but not out of the ball park either, just a nice investment. I am happy with that alone, the SA stamp just makes it that much more desirable for me personally.

I appreciate the input!

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,555 Posts
Sounds like a great rifle. An SA marked M96 is a great find that you certainly don't come across very often. It's just that many don't realize that a Finnish captured Russian M38 is so hard to find it can be the centerpiece of an entire collection.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.