Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just picked up a Westinghouse MN91 in unissued condition! Must be one of the pieces not delivered. It is marked on the receiver NEW ENGLAND (in an arch) over Russian Imperial Eagle over Westinghouse ompany over 1915 over serial number. the bolt, mag floor plate and butt plate are unnumbered. The stock is walnut, with out Russian proof. The best part....it has what must be a Westinghouse Bayonet! Again, unmarked except fro a proof. Looks like an asterisk with a small arrow through it. What a find! It is so nice to see what these guns are supposed to look like in original condition!

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Pic's are in order =+)

Congrats on a nice find - Just for curiosity's sake, anyone reading this post.....Which do you find more out there - N.E.W. M91's or Remington M91's in as described condition above? I have never seen such a duck at a gunshow - I picked up mine from a gunshop with a heads up from a board member....

Pahtu.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
M91 N.e.w.

"It is marked on the receiver NEW ENGLAND (in an arch) over Russian Imperial Eagle over Westinghouse ompany over 1915 over serial number. the bolt, mag floor plate and butt plate are unnumbered."

I dunno much about these, but the arched logo is supposed to be an early brand/stamp & the straight logo's are supposed to be the later type - My N.E.W. also does not have a stamped matching cocking piece or mag floorplate, but it is the straight logo & I think it is of later production.

Pahtu.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
I also have an unissued Westinghouse 1981, serial # 7235 with the arched New England trademark. It only has the serial # on the chamber like yours but mine is missing the handguard which I hope to find a correct walnut replacement for someday.

Mine has an inscription written inside the forend barrel channel which reads,
" CAPT. Leger (something smugged) VIII/XII 1916" As this is an unmarked and unissued rifle I was wondering if the Captain might have been an official involved in the production whom it might have been presented to for some reason?

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
N.E.W.

Here is a pic of my Finn'd N.E.W., it has the curved logo. As far as bayonets go - NavyGunner I would be tickled to see that N.E.W. bayonet - most pic's I have seen were poor & the brands/marks could not be seen very well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Great grab. I have only ever seen one minty original NEW at a gunshow. The seller wanted $1000 for it so I walked away. Excellent condition original US M91's are definitly rare but of the few examples I have seen the Remington's have edged out the NEW's. Regardless, either is a great addition to the collection! I am also very interested in seeing your bayonet and comparing it to my NEW bayo. PICS!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NEW

The serial number is 6189, sorry about not having pictures, my camera is being serviced.
No, the stock is not US marked.

Are all NEW and Remington parts serial numbered like the the Russian counterparts?

Any ideas as to how the value of something like this compares to a "Russian issued" piece or one used by the US, as compared to this one that appears not to have been sent over or used?

I have to assume having the Westinghouse bayonet is a plus. How are Westinghouse bayonets supposed to be marked as well?

·
Registered
143 Posts
congrats on the find. I got a NEW this weekend but it is pretty worn, got it for 170.00. Can barely read the stamp on the barrel. Interesting though it has 2 serial numbers on the buttplate....

·
Registered
490 Posts
No excuses!! Digital cameras are $20 at wallyworld!!!! We need pics!!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Sounds like the one that was offered on Gunsamerica. Was it about $400.00 or so? I emailed the guy that I would take it pending some info and some pics. He only had one fuzzy pic. The seller sold it from under me without sending any pics. I'm not going to pay that much money for a Mosin based on one lousy picture.

I tried to communicate with the guy but he seemed mental. He sent me long-winded rambling emails about how nice the rifle was but he would not answer ANY of my questions.

Hopefully you got a nice rifle.

Regards, ARG

1 - 20 of 52 Posts