Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of doing a article of WWII carbines. Would the M38 Fucile corto be considered a carbine? If you would define a carbine to be a shortened version of a rifle then compared to a m91 or m41 I would.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Countries you visit, "carbine" you define.

The overly used term "carbine" by most Anglo world collectors etc is often a misplaced "Shortened" (or short) Rifle descriptor.

Original use of Term "Carbine" was for a short type Gun, usually carried by Horsemen, and slung either with a "saddle ring" or a cross shoulder sash and hook ( to a ring on the Stock. otherwise, they were carried slung across the back, and this was facilitated by the use of Sling svivels/slots, bars, etc, placed on the LHS of the "carbine).

It is though that the word "Carabin, Carabina, etc" derived from a Spanish word related to the Shortened firearms carried by free-booters in the Spanish Carribbean area.

The term took individual Language chearacteristics in Europe, becoming Carbine, Carabina, Karabiner, Karabin, karabinek, and so on.

AT the same time as the Term "Carbine" was being connected almost exclusively to Cavalry ( but not Dragoons, who fought on foot, but travelled by Horse.)
The use of shortened Firearms buy other users, such as Artillerymen and Sappers/Pioneers and Sailors, led to a Plethora of " different names" for shortened Muskets, still carried in the Infantry manner eg> " Short Service," Mousqueton" "Muskete", Moschetto, Stutzen, and so on.

THis separation continued until the late 1800s, when everytrhing was simple...there were "Long" Infantry Rifles, there were "short" Artillery and Engineers Rifles, and there were Cavalry carbines....and around 1900-1910, there ca
me on the Scene the "Universal rifle" ( shorter than a Long, Longer than a Short or carbine, to serve All branches of the service ( britain, and USA

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Damned unstable "Quick reply" window...

Continued:
By the 1930s, "Carbines " had disappeared from many Countries' inventories, although those of pre W W I were still on issue ( and being made (Italy, France, by refurb, Russia,Japan. etc.)).

TO the Oversimplifying Americans, anything wihich is not "standard length" is by default, a
"Carbine" ( They had the same problem with the 7,9mm J and JS cartridges, calling them "8" Mm to start with, and furether confuisng the two different bullet/Rifleing diameters, and on top, confusaing these with "true" 8mm cartridges....should I go on?)

Getting back to the rather "fixed" Europeans, even in WW II, though a "Carbine" was for cavalry (now outmoded) it shifted to "Mounted troops" and "Assault troops" because of its Handiness; IN some countries (Germanic) the Term remained for "Side Slung" firearms.
Justbecause a Rifle is shorter than some "Long Rifle" predecessor, does NOT make it a Carbine.

Carbine is as Carbine Does. Musketoon is as Musketoon does. and to confuse the issue, "Einheits Gewehr" is named a "Carbine, but only because of its slinging set up.

More simply Put, if the Barrel is under 550 ot 600 mm ( 22-24 inches) it can be a "Carbine or a Musketoon" depending on Sling Positions (or a "combination ( Stutzen karabiners); anything longer than 26 inc barrels, are "Long Rifles" and the 23-25 inch barrels are "Universals" ( national peculiarities aside.)

regards, Doc AV

All coinfused now???

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Well written; but why did the "over complicating" Europeans, i.e. the Germans call their short rifle a Karibiner? and even include it in the nomenclature, K98k?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
I was always a big fan of the Kar98b... same length as a gewehr, with turned down bolt and side mounted sling. Guess in that case it was sling position, there by making the K98k the short version. Or the german G43-K43 nomenclature change, when nothing had actually changed.

To the OP, I wouldnt consider it a carbine, the italians didnt. They had carbines and refered to them as such... or at least im guess thats what "moschetto" meant. The term "Fucile corto" meaning short rifle.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Well, oddly enough, my Cavalry carbine and TS rifles have the same length barrel; the SR is about 3" longer at 21", with the other two at approx. 18"

So at least to the Italians, the barrel length must not have been the determining factor of carbine vs. TS(moschetto?).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.