Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a birthday coming up and have considered treating myself to a reproduction PU scope to go on one of my M91s. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or if it is just a bad idea all together.

thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not a 91/30 just a straight M91 I have found scopes for about 185 and would just get a gun smith to install it.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
I think I speak for most here, when I say it would not be worth it to destroy an M91.

How were you planning to mount the scope? If you mount it with a PU type base, you'll have to have the reciever drilled and the stock cut. In addition the bolt handle will have to be bent in order to clear the scope. That would be a tragedy on an M91, all around. Plus you'll spend quite a few bucks having all that work done.

As Ted stated, why not just find a 91/30 (the right model for a PU scope) that has already been "re-snipered". All the legwork is done for you. For less $, you can get one with a post-war scope.

Please, from a guy who considers the M91 the finest mosin, don't do anything to that rifle that will be permanent.

T

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys! Definitely see your point there and why destroy one when I could buy another for the same price and have 3 nagants instead of 2 :D

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
On a practical point, there are thousands of used inexpensive Savage, Winchester & Remington rifles amongst other manufacturer's available online or at shops sattered across the country where you can buy a rifle already set up for hunting/shooting. One could find a scout mount set up that is non permanent, but I am unsure if such a thing is available for the M91.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Another M91 saved from the gunsmith. Great Job!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,572 Posts
Take Ted's advice and get a Repro.. Some Refurb Pus are coming soon in the $800 range. Better still, get one of those.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you are treating yourself it is always best to do it right and get the repo sniper, that way you won't have to kick yourself later.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
I put one Darrell's Scout Mounts on a plain Jane M91/30, with a 4X Simmons Pistol Scope. You remove the rear sight leaf and put the mount on, takes about 10 minutes. You could go that route, too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input guys I appreciate it I have decided to go on a hunt on thursday for either an M44 or maybe an Arisaka T99. Any recommendations on anywhere to find these in middle georgia?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
These gentlemen know what they are talking about when it comes to Mosins. Let me add my voice. Not only will you have 3 nice Mosins instead of 1 good one and 1 ruined M91,
you will be able to look upon that historic M1891 with pride instead of regret and to hold your head up on Gunboards or your local gunshow without being hissed at by collectors.......

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These gentlemen know what they are talking about when it comes to Mosins. Let me add my voice. Not only will you have 3 nice Mosins instead of 1 good one and 1 ruined M91,
you will be able to look upon that historic M1891 with pride instead of regret and to hold your head up on Gunboards or your local gunshow without being hissed at by collectors.......
Yes I generally avoid hissing at all costs :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts