Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
put this one on layaway today 250 idk if it was a great deal or not kinda seen better days but I did want one, what do u guys think and any info on this rifle would be greatly appreciated :) More pics to come after I actually get it :)

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup bayonet came with it, I kinda wanted a shootable gun though and idk if this one will be able to be that gun lol, I saw someone dip a gun in solution and remove all the rust and anything from it without hurting it I may try it proly really make this one look a lot nicer, is there anyway to date it?

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
you could try electrolysis I have been reading about it. it seems to work there are some youtube videos about it to. what I have seen is it removes the rust and leaves the finish untouched. I am thinking of trying it. has anyone on here tried it?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
24th series Kokura. It may or may not have a chrome bore. It should be shootable. Check to verify matching numbers. Clean the bore to get a good assessment of the bore condition. Leave the outside alone. You can wipe it down with some oil. Don't be aggressive.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
24th series Kokura. It may or may not have a chrome bore. It should be shootable. Check to verify matching numbers. Clean the bore to get a good assessment of the bore condition. Leave the outside alone. You can wipe it down with some oil. Don't be aggressive.
Wise words. The quickest way to reduce value is in trying to "enhance it".
Leave the electrolysis and magic "solutions" to rusty boat anchors.

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
you could try electrolysis I have been reading about it. it seems to work there are some youtube videos about it to. what I have seen is it removes the rust and leaves the finish untouched. I am thinking of trying it. has anyone on here tried it?
Jeep: I have done electrolysis with Civil War artifacts and it does an excellent job removing rust, and it is very simple to do using a car battery charger.

However, in the OP's case, he might be better off using some 0000 fine steel wool and gun oil and going that route instead.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now any kind of wool id never try to abrasive something that bring out the original gun and takes off the rust yes but nothing that would hurt or alter the original bluing or steel im gona clean it real good and see how it ends up anyway proly wont end up doing anything more to it lol can u even get ammo for these or is it like nambus lol

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Jeep: I have done electrolysis with Civil War artifacts and it does an excellent job removing rust, and it is very simple to do using a car battery charger.

However, in the OP's case, he might be better off using some 0000 fine steel wool and gun oil and going that route instead.
cool is it that hard to set up it does not look to bad on youtube? does it remove the rust like it says?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
cool is it that hard to set up it does not look to bad on youtube? does it remove the rust like it says?
The set up is really simple, although the electrical attachment can vary depending on what the object is and its shape. Take a socket bayonet for example, you can use just the battery clamps off the charger for this. Its been 9 months ago that I did this, but if I'm remembering correctly you use the positive clamp on the bayonet, and then you clamp the negative clamp onto a clean piece of steel that must be submerged in water with some dish washer detergent (powder type soap) mixed in for electrical flow. When you turn on the charger the positive cable is sending current into the bayonet loosening the rust. The rust then is drawn by the negative clamp to the steel rod where it builds up around the steel rod. You cannot let either object touch each other and both must be separated apart by 4 or more inches apart.

How long it takes time wise can vary depending on the object, but probably several hours. It does work real well and it will remove all the rust. Though you must wash it afterwards to remove the dish washing soap and I would use a hair dryer to remove the water, and then either seal the relic with some clear coat, or rub gun oil on it.

I am going to do electrolysis with my panzerschreck rocket this coming summer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
+1 on kroil

Or pb blaster. Let it soak very well then gently scrub off the rust. If you can get your hands on a frontier 45 scrub sponge I have had great success with those instead of 0000 wool. I use the electrolysis method as well and it works very well but you have to keep an eye on it as it will eventually remove blue. Kroil and wool or pb blaster are the safest ways to go..good luck!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts