Gunboards Forums banner

Wood for Martini Henrys

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DoubleD 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I purchased a MARTINI MK IV "action only" about a month ago. I am having a new barrel installed in 30-30 Win Caliber. While waiting for it to be returned to me, I have attempted to locate wood for it. I have had limited success. Seems to be several sources of wood for Martini small frames. Large frames are a different story! Treebone Carving offers two versions. Both are in "Creedmore" style which is not what I have in mind. I want a more modern style, e.g. Pistolgrip and cheekrest, that will be more suited for use with a scope.

I thought I had found a source in "Great American Stocks Company". However, a little research brought up some negative input about the company and its owner! Made me hesitant and skeptical.

Can anyone out there suggest someone that can provide a semi-inletted stock and forearm for MARTINI LARGE FRAMES?

Regards,

garyc

#2 ·
Did you send an email or make a phone call to each of the the stock makers listed on www.martinihenry.com link list and ask what they have.

Don't just look at there websites, contact them. They often have old patterns that they don;t list on there website. The most likely to have what you are looking for is Wenigs http://www.wenig.com/ . If you will talk to them they may have something for you. By the way to navigate through Wenigs website click on Catalog on menu list on the left. When the catalog page opens on the right look for the catalog icon and click on it:

As you view each page scroll to the bottom and find that Icon to turn the page.

If you have stock fitting skils you may also be able to adapted a buttstock from one of the butt socket style shotguns to fit. Without pulling the buttstock on my Remington to 870, exterior dimensions look very close. It would be a simple thing to ask the stock maker to leave extra wood in that area.

#3 ·
Douglas, Thank you for your input! Yes, I have contacted all the stock makers on www.martinhenry.com. Wenig was the last one I e-mailed. They replied, saying they did not have a pattern stock. Your suggestion about using a shotgun stock is valid and makes a lot of sense! While not an expert, I think I may have the skills to proceed in that direction.

Thanks again,

Gary

#4 ·
I would call Wenig's and ask them if they know who got the Martini Patterns from Rheinhart Fajen?

I do know that when I talked with Fred Wenig 6 or 7 years ago, he did say he thought had some patterns. Fred no longer owns Wenig's. I just no w called Wenig's and they are going to go look and see if they can fins Martini Henry pattern stoc.

I also just pulled the butt tock off my 870 and tried it on a Martini. I think if you called and asked for a butt stoc for a 870 or 740 Remington and asked them to make the butt socket tenon at least 7/8" inch long you could fit those stocks up to a Martini.

#5 · (Edited)
I just got off the phone with Jimmy at Wenig's. They have a butt stock pattern for as they call it Martini Enfield. It has a cheek piece and pistol grip.

They will be sending me a picture in a few hours and I will post it

Picture added

#8 ·
It was always there guys...the problem is you have get past the front desk customer service folks to find the stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.