Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And with a new low-drag high-speed ninjafied screen name (lost the "989," thanks to all-powerful Vic). :cool:

And, since you all undoubtedly need an update on skywarp's life: I'm spending a few weeks taking care of my grandparents' farm as they road trip to Texas to visit family. We've got a horse (Winston), a donkey (Donk), and about 30 sheep. The donkey's supposed to protect the sheep from coyotes and wolves. Worked well for a few years, but I think she's getting a little old. They lost four sheep to 'yotes this year.

One of the sheep that was killed a few weeks ago was this little guy.

He was a "bottle baby" -- whose mother sort of abandoned and so we fed from a bottle until he could eat grass. They're not pets, but my grandma gets attached to the bottle babies... makes for a not happy grandma when they get eaten by 'yotes.:mad:

So I've been trying to patrol as much as possible with an interesting rifle or two, hoping to get off a shot at a coyote, but so far I haven't seen any. Also, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that the rifle that usually goes with me is my most accurate and reliable rifle -- my AR15. :eek:

Anyhow, the scenery is nice --

Last fall:

Another nice view:

Got another two weeks or so here. Then bowhunting starts and then duck/goose hunting... so little time!

Oh, here's a few deer pictures taken by remote trail camera at my chosen bowhunting spot:

No new Mosins for me for a while, looks like! Not that I'm not always watching the trader, of course, but the Finn collecting has taken a side seat for the last few months. At least now I can still BS about them on gunboards, and debate original finishes and stuff like that. ;)

The new software looks great -- thanks to Tuco and Vic!

-- Tom

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Great to see that you made it. Now kill the whole bunch of coyotes to pay them back for that little guy.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
IIRC there are a couple coyote hunters from out west on these boards. Perhaps they'll chime in with some of their pet methods for hunting & dispatching these furry raiders .....

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
Welcome back!!

That sure is beautiful land your family has. Although I was thinking an M38 or M44 would be cool to hump around on yote patrol, I think I'd take a semi as well. I'd have to go with my SKS.

T

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,959 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Tom, glad to see you made it!

If you need a long-range riifle for those 'yotes, give me a holler - I've got a Remington 700 with a Harris bipod and Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20 scope on it, it's zeroed at 250 yards currently...

Any chance you and/or Chris will be coming down for the MWCA show Sep. 29th & 30th?

Me & MNIceman have got a table reserved....

·
Administrator
19,254 Posts
If god did not want them to be eaten he would not have gave the coyote such sharp teeth and the made the sheep taste so good.......:eek:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Dat' dere looks like a nordern Minnneeesota farm. Four shure.
BTW got a Win Model 70 HB, bipod, Starlight case, SS Mildot scope in .308, should you want to pop them from your Gramma's upstairs window.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
My daughter used to be able to call the coyotes into range when my inlaws had a sheep ranch in Idaho. They have since switched over to cattle, and my daugther seems to have forgotten the "song" that she could sing so well when she was seven.

Oh, and remember what Groucho Marx said: I would never join a club that would have me as a member.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If god did not want them to be eaten he would not have gave the coyote such sharp teeth and the made the sheep taste so good.......:eek:
Oh I know, and I don't actually harbor any anger toward the coyotes, but they're usually clever enough that if you shoot one or two they make themselves scarce, and leave the sheep alone.

Gunhorde and zampilot, just send your precision rigs on up here and I'll put 'em to good use. ;)

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
If the donkey is getting too old to do it's job, just put a dress on it and send it on down to Tuco ----

1 - 14 of 14 Posts