Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty new to collecting Mosins and my collection is rather small. I have a few pre-war rifles and a few war-time rifle, but the only post-war rifles I have are the Chinese Type 53s, which I love btw. So today I had a small break at work and I called J&G and asked if they had any post-war M44s. They called me back in about five minutes and I was told they had one 1946 M44 Izhevsk in a hard-wood stock, so I bought it immediately. I am waiting now for that one. My first post-war Russian Mosin!!!

I got home and shortly after the big-brown-truck arrives with an order I'd made for two 91/30s I'd bought. (I'd actually forgot I ordered them.) The laminated 91/30s were on sale for $130, so I bought two. I wanted a couple in laminated stocks because I don't have any. I didn't get handpick or anything. I just wanted a nice shooter or two. One is a totally unremarkable polished/heavy refurb 1943 with a wonderful bore and nice action, bad trigger.

The other one

A 1946 M91/30... I immediately started crying. Weeping with joy. Oh, what Mosin karma has brought me today!!!! It's still coated in thick cosmoline. It's not an ex sniper. I know they're around but I just couldn't believe after what I ordered earlier, I had this delivered to me. This one has the best bore out of all my rifles.

I must have done something to please the Mosin gods. I can't wait to get my 1946 M44 so it can sit next to my 1946 M91/30.

I will get more and better pictures soon.

Questions, comments, observations and picture sharing is always welcome.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
My very first ever Mosin was a 1946 Izhevsk M44. Was in great shape. Never went through a refurb, and had original stamped matching numbers. Must have been made, then just sat somewhere for forever. Nice rifle. Luck of the draw on that one!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nothing like luck of the draw when buying from a distributor and getting something really cool like that. Only ever happened to me once, and it was my beautiful '44 Izhevsk sniper from Classic that is all original. Congrats on a very rare find!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got my '46 M44. Its been refurbed. All serial #'s and prefixes match but the magazine floor at least is a restamp. Its in good shape. Has two small arsenal repairs to the stock.

What I find most interesting about the M44 is that; 1. It does not have the take down notches for the rear bands although it is a post-war stock. 2. The trigger is in the white. I've never seen another Mosin with a trigger in the white. Very odd I thought 3. I read somewhere that '46 should have a stepped tang and neither does.

Both of them are as I got them from the distributor. I have not cleaned, or destocked either yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your thread tempted me into ordering two laminate 91-30's from J&G. Here's to hoping I get lucky and get a 46.
I'm happy to be an enabler. :) Mine had; sling, cleaning kit, oil can, and ammo pouch. It nice to get one with the accessories too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts