Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CCW classes are full and 90% are women. After our initial class, ALL signed up for Phase Two. I am sure all will VOTE to KEEP their guns on November 3rd., OK, this is my Outreach.

What are other gun owners doing to KEEP their Gun Rights??? As Virginia showed last year,

'if you Snooze, You Lose!!!!"

Webley

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My best students for any kind of shooting have always been the Ladies.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys.

The women are the best students. At age 75, I forget my classes are a good place to cruise!! LOL.

Seriously, my classes are filled with intelligent people who want to know about hand gunning. About half the classes have revolvers. All are very capable gun owners and will meet their needs in gravest extreme.

Webley

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
not to mention most men already have had enough training and do not need anymore

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
as much as I shoot and practice(actually train with professionals), I am embarrassed to admit that my wife (little thing) outshoots me with a revolver (specifically .357mag) EVERY time we have a friendly competition. when she took civilian tactical classes - instructors moved here into 'advanced' group after 30minutes at the range with her CC Glock... I can still do better with semi-auto and long guns (especially at 500m+ ), but no matter how much I train with HER revolver - I could NEVER shoot a better group at 15m and 25m vs what my wife puts out... with Coonan in .357mag I did do slightly better, thank God... its strange and puzzling.

in my M4 classes, we had two gals - and I have to say, I would not hesitate to pick em for my team, you could tell that they seem to grasp instructor led/taught techniques very quickly; not to mention must practiced too, because in subsequent (higher) level classes, these ladies (civilians with 0 LEO or Military prior experience) were just kicking ass, - hitting pop-up targets at 100ydrs with open sights and 300yrds steel from barricade rest...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KAIFS,

I totally agree with your assessment. Women students have inquiring minds, ask good questions and follow instructions. I was surprised about how much citizens do not know about guns in 2020. Everyone knows the word: shotgun. But few people understand what a shotgun can do.

One of my drills for my classes is to put a few balloons stapled up on a target frame 50 yards out. I have a student fire a "mild" #7.5 shot trap load out of a 12 gauge and the entire class is stunned to see several balloons pop! Many class members want a shotgun and I advise a 20 gauge will suit their needs. I now offer a one-day shotgun orientation class: Business is good.

Webley

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
They may be better students (I agree with that) but I have always noticed their situational awareness seems to be lacking, at least in most normal day to day danger situations.

Example, black ice, nearly hit car stopped in front of us, never occurs to the wife to get off the road as the next car coming up might hit us. Too relieved we stopped in time, did not think past first order.

In military training, ran a course laid out by a combat engineer, student had to get through a mine field (after LRC to make them think differently), with of course several tricks. All were E4s non combat arms. Females' did not seem to be able to keep track of the squad when in command, males had better presence in response to multiple danger(s) showed up, women not so much (pressure was added as the course went along).

It has been my observation when it comes to any schooling women are more disciplined, pay attention more, more balanced and better students, but once in a field the men run rings around them.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They may be better students (I agree with that) but I have always noticed their situational awareness seems to be lacking, at least in most normal day to day danger situations.

Example, black ice, nearly hit car stopped in front of us, never occurs to the wife to get off the road as the next car coming up might hit us. Too relieved we stopped in time, did not think past first order.

In military training, ran a course laid out by a combat engineer, student had to get through a mine field (after LRC to make them think differently), with of course several tricks. All were E4s non combat arms. Females' did not seem to be able to keep track of the squad when in command, males had better presence in response to multiple danger(s) showed up, women not so much (pressure was added as the course went along).

It has been my observation when it comes to any schooling women are more disciplined, pay attention more, more balanced and better students, but once in a field the men run rings around them.
Fritz,

Being a veteran and a firearms instructor, I see all kinds of students. I agree some are better than others. Women students would be my first choice for my backup! I had their assistance in the past and survived to retire to my farm.

Be Well.

Webley

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
57,548 Posts

You have not met my daughters. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I was never an active duty, never fired a round in anger in my life, realize there is a spectrum of behaviors/ awareness, but male "cold aggression", or "situational awareness under pressure", (whatever you call it) simply seems to give men an advantage in the real world away from school. Webley One, back up is a different role, I am talking about when the shit hits the fan and they are in the drivers seat.

I have seen folks react under pressure in 2 robbery attempts, a fire and as part of an RTI cadre, how folks work in a class room (women are better students on average) and then stack up when in field exercises (application). The guys are simply better under pressue. In both robbery attemts the guys reeacted quickly and effectively, the women hesitated when direct action was required. Same in the fire. That was the common trait seen in the field, women would hesitate and move caustiously when men looked at the situation, made a spot judement and reacted quickly and with a clear purpose.

Same is true in my technical hardware occupation, women are better students, but hardware engineering is dominated by guys when it comes to actual design and application. Where you really see it is when stuff goes to shit, the men get all focused and dig in, while the women look to find a spot where they will not be blamed for the problems that are about to sink the project. Maybe those fields are not representative of most human endeavors, but the pattern is obvious everywhere I look with an eye to see.

Back the back out role: without training, most men unless taught to operate as part of a team they have a natural instinct to go off on their own. But the situation I was talking about was not the team aspect, but individual reacting under pressure. If I were to categorize it it would be the male when faced with pressure reacts with aggression, the female hesitates and has a basic internal pause to figure out: "fight or flight".

In a team situation, anyone who has spent time with mixed and single sex groups can say the mixed groups have less cohesion under pressure unless family based groupings. When it comes to small unit cohesion of non related individuals, all male teams do better. Without training and a prior pecking order established I can see male groups having trouble with "follow the leader" and women being better at following, so it is not all one way.

I stand by my observation. But if folks see it differently, well it might be I am missing something.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Same is true in my technical hardware occupation, women are better students, but hardware engineering is dominated by guys when it comes to actual design and application. Where you really see it is when stuff goes to shit, the men get all focused and dig in, while the women look to find a spot where they will not be blamed for the problems that are about to sink the project. Maybe those fields are not representative of most human endeavors, but the pattern is obvious everywhere I look with an eye to see.
I agree. Women tend to listen better and acquire skill faster in training. Real World application is a different story. That being said, it is a gross generalization as I have seen many a guy who was great on the range or in training turn out to be not so good on a two way shooting range.

I have also seen women perform very well in combat. We used women CI agents to search females on the objective during SSE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts