Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings All,

I'm attempting to research a carcano rifle that has rumored to be available for sale.

It is, according to legend, an Carcano in 7.35 that is SA marked.

However, in addition to the SA marking, it also has a "wolf's head" marking on the barrel. Reportedly, it looks like similar to the wolf patch used by the Cub Scouts of America.

I speak in vague terms only because I have not seen the rilfe, nor have I ever seen anything like it.

Hoping to get photos soon, if possible.

Does anyone have an idea if this could be a Finnish marking or an Italian marking?

Any thoughts or insight would be much appreciated.

Tom

·
Gold Bullet member
897 Posts
Haven't heard of a "wolf" marking. There is a marking seen on Carcanos which is an animal (looks like a standing lion to me with a crown) see below. The marking shown is on the buttplate.
Also the Italians only sold Model 38 short rifles to Finland in cal. 7.35.
David Franchi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings Dave,

My apologies. A slip of the fingers dropped the wrong caliber into the previous post.

Hopefully, I'll get to see the gun and see if this is a match.

Do we have any idea what the marking stands for?

Tom

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
Speculation

I have no knowledge in the field of italian arms, but i do know a little bit about their army from the library research i've done (for modding a WWII videogame.) There was a '7 Division Lupi di Toscana' Could this be a divisional marking (did they do those?)? However, the lupi di toscana served in france. This does not make sense with the finland mark as that division served in france and would probably have been in service of some sort when this weapon would have been in finland.

Until it's been seen, however, it is complete crap and speculation. Price, further details?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts