Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
some AKs have issues with HP, they will not feed. So I would not buy bulk, buy a couple boxes and see if your rifle will feed it. I have no issues with my MAADI "eating" them, but some AK do.

As for which is better, WOLF, BROWN BEAR etc.... buy whatever is cheaper, regardless what name brand is on it, in the end they are all basically the same ammo. Russian ammo factories are a consortium, they make each others ammo. It's not like it was 10 years ago, where TULA excusively made the WOLF brand, ULYANOVSKY made their brand name ammo etc..

I have bought WOLF that had the ULYANOVSKY headstamp
If you look on the box, it'll tell you who mfg'd the ammo. I've seen Silver Bear ("Match", nipple effect)that was mfg'd by Ulyanovsk, and regular Silver Bear FMJ, made by JSC Barnaul, but have never seen any Barnaul, or Bear 7.62x39 made by RNC Tula, or vice-a-versa. Wolf ammo is nasty, dirty, and not as accurate, as any of the Barnaul brands that I've shot in the 7.62x39 flavor, in my SAR-1, Chicom Ak47, Yugo M72 RPK, Russ. SKS, Chicom SKS, Yugo SKS, Rom. SKS, or the Bul. RPD. However, if you are shooting in the FA, or blasto-matic mode, any flavor will usually do, and the cheaper the better. I personally prefer something that's a little more accurate, as these rifles can be, and a whole lot easier to clean than the sootier Wolf flavor, JMO. Your mileage may vary.
Michael

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
I've never had any issues with regards to HP-vs-FMJ ammo out of any AK type rifles that I've ever shot. However, Ive had feed issues with SP ammo in both 5.45, and 7.62x39 in my rifles. As for accuracy between the two, HP, and FMJ, usually there's not a lot of difference, but I've experienced enough differences in lot groups of the exact same everything, ammo that I had to make adjustments for both windage, and elevation. But, not enough that I couldn't still hit minute of man, without making the adjustments on the rifle, but by using Kentucky windage adjustments only. Also, back to the original post, be damn sure it's a 1000rnd case, as previously mentioned. The mfg's have now changed the standard case to 500rnds, bastards. So, be fore warned of this sales tactic! JMO.
Michael

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.