Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a local shop that has wolf x39 HP for 200 per case. Im guessing a case is 1000rnds?
Im used to shooting the FMJ wolf ammo and havnt shot that in some time. Is there a big difference in accuracy between the FMJ and HP?

I wasnt planning on buying the ammo right now but at $200 and not having to pay the shipping this seems like a good deal.

They are closed right now so my info is limited, im guessing its wolf standard.

Should I grab a case now or wait for FMJ?

·
Silver Bullet member
972 Posts
The "cases" of 7.62x39 that I see for sale around here are 500 rounds each, so if that's what your shop is selling, $200 is twice too much. For 1000 rounds, that's the going price hereabouts - or it was BO (Before Obama), anyway.

I've read that Wolf 7.62x39 is decent, but not the best - for the latter, Silver Tiger, Golden Tiger, and Brown Bear (aka the Monarch that was selling for $150/1000 at Academy Sports a month ago) get better reviews on the Ammo Bunker forum.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
some AKs have issues with HP, they will not feed. So I would not buy bulk, buy a couple boxes and see if your rifle will feed it. I have no issues with my MAADI "eating" them, but some AK do.

As for which is better, WOLF, BROWN BEAR etc.... buy whatever is cheaper, regardless what name brand is on it, in the end they are all basically the same ammo. Russian ammo factories are a consortium, they make each others ammo. It's not like it was 10 years ago, where TULA excusively made the WOLF brand, ULYANOVSKY made their brand name ammo etc..

I have bought WOLF that had the ULYANOVSKY headstamp

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
some AKs have issues with HP, they will not feed. So I would not buy bulk, buy a couple boxes and see if your rifle will feed it. I have no issues with my MAADI "eating" them, but some AK do.

As for which is better, WOLF, BROWN BEAR etc.... buy whatever is cheaper, regardless what name brand is on it, in the end they are all basically the same ammo. Russian ammo factories are a consortium, they make each others ammo. It's not like it was 10 years ago, where TULA excusively made the WOLF brand, ULYANOVSKY made their brand name ammo etc..

I have bought WOLF that had the ULYANOVSKY headstamp
If you look on the box, it'll tell you who mfg'd the ammo. I've seen Silver Bear ("Match", nipple effect)that was mfg'd by Ulyanovsk, and regular Silver Bear FMJ, made by JSC Barnaul, but have never seen any Barnaul, or Bear 7.62x39 made by RNC Tula, or vice-a-versa. Wolf ammo is nasty, dirty, and not as accurate, as any of the Barnaul brands that I've shot in the 7.62x39 flavor, in my SAR-1, Chicom Ak47, Yugo M72 RPK, Russ. SKS, Chicom SKS, Yugo SKS, Rom. SKS, or the Bul. RPD. However, if you are shooting in the FA, or blasto-matic mode, any flavor will usually do, and the cheaper the better. I personally prefer something that's a little more accurate, as these rifles can be, and a whole lot easier to clean than the sootier Wolf flavor, JMO. Your mileage may vary.
Michael

G

·
Works the same .i shot both FMJ and Hp out of the tabuk sniper ,and dont even have to adjust for it . I have been able to find ammo still at regular prices .just gotta look .the internets a big place. Sportsmans giude was sold out of everything , except if you looked real good ,they had wolf black box HP .I grabbed it up .this was just this past wednesday .

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
I've never had any issues with regards to HP-vs-FMJ ammo out of any AK type rifles that I've ever shot. However, Ive had feed issues with SP ammo in both 5.45, and 7.62x39 in my rifles. As for accuracy between the two, HP, and FMJ, usually there's not a lot of difference, but I've experienced enough differences in lot groups of the exact same everything, ammo that I had to make adjustments for both windage, and elevation. But, not enough that I couldn't still hit minute of man, without making the adjustments on the rifle, but by using Kentucky windage adjustments only. Also, back to the original post, be damn sure it's a 1000rnd case, as previously mentioned. The mfg's have now changed the standard case to 500rnds, bastards. So, be fore warned of this sales tactic! JMO.
Michael

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gotta agree with others here - if a "case" is 1000 rounds, grab it up - that's a pretty damned good price these days. If a case is 500 rounds, though, give it a miss. Even the pricier places I've seen it were still under $300/1000.

I've had no issues with Wold ammo in over 1000 rounds now. I'll have to get back to you on the Chinese AK's not wanting HP rounds, though - I recently bought a brick of 1000 HP rounds and haven't tried them in my MAK-90 yet. If they don't feed correctly, I'll try them in my Saiga. And if they STILL don't feed correctly, I've got an excuse to buy another 7.62 gun! (Always gotta look for the silver lining, eh?) :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've never had any problems with Wolf HP-I prefer FMJ but the HP has always worked for me. I would stay away from Wolf SP in 7.62X39 as I HAVE had problems with that. FWIW I think zinc plated Barnaul FMJ is the best.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, im going on Monday to see what all they have. I dont think they are crazy enough to do 500rnds at $200 but im going to call ahead just incase.
They have GSG5 pistols for 500 which is a bit below the normal price so im thinking MAYBE it is 1000rnds.

Im used to shooting chinese steel core, unfortunetly I have exhausted my supply.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It turns out it is indeed 1000rnds. And he had a couple cases of FMJ for the same price so I went ahead and got the FMJ instead of the HP. Tax was like $20 however so that didnt make me to happy. Still an OK day tho :)

He also had some other items, GSG5(mp5 in 22) for $500 each which was a good deal and he had some Arsenal 223 AK rifles(forget the price) and 30rnd Romanian ak mags for only $30!(this was a ripoff).
He also had some 308 SA battlepacks but at $100 each I almost fell over.

Now im going to have to get a darn GSG because its to sweet not to have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have two Romanian SAR-1s and neither has ever had a problem with Wolf HP.

You can buy "WX2-107300 1,000 rds. Wolf® 7.62x39 mm 124 Gr. HP Ammo" online at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=295994 for $219.97 or if you are a member of their buyer's club for $208.97.

There are also a lot of threads with Sportsman's Guide coupons that give discounts of from $5 to $15. So if you are a buyer's club member and use a $10 coupon, the ammo is $198.97 plus shipping. That gets you the ammo for about the same price that ncreptile paid for his in-store ammo.

Not a bad deal if you can't find good prices locally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.