Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded a mixed magazine of winchester and wolf hollowpoints, the wolf ammo was on the top, I switched off the safety, squeezed the trigger and click. The winchester fired every time.

I cleared the chamber, examined the round and the primer was dinted, I wrote it off as a random malfunction so I loaded some more.

3 out of 5 the same thing happened with the wolf.

Any ideas? The Russian surplus has harder primers, but I'd expect a SKS to eat them correctly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Weird. Perhaps your firing pin potrusion isn't long enough for theWolf - thye have harder primers than commercial ammo.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,169 Posts
Have you cleaned the firing pin, I'd tend to agree it might be a soft strike malfunction. I have been hearing complaints about some lots of wolf but not quite like this. You didn't try hitting them again did you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
blow the firing pin channel out really good with carb cleaner or goof off, something that will eat all the cosmo gunked up inside.
Other than that it could be a faulty firing pin/hammer spring.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,580 Posts
Get Serious - drive out the retaining pin and remove the firing pin altogether. Soak in MEK, carb cleaner or the noxious solvent of your choice. Scrub out the firing pin channel with a bronze bore brush, then soak again.

You'll never really know if you've gotten out all the varnished cosmoline if you simply soak the assembled bolt, or spray it down with carb cleaner - even if it does rattle afterward..

Having a hard time removing the pin? Some are really tight, but ALL will come out if you use a stout enough punch and hammer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get Serious - drive out the retaining pin and remove the firing pin altogether. Soak in MEK, carb cleaner or the noxious solvent of your choice. Scrub out the firing pin channel with a bronze bore brush, then soak again.

You'll never really know if you've gotten out all the varnished cosmoline if you simply soak the assembled bolt, or spray it down with carb cleaner - even if it does rattle afterward..

Having a hard time removing the pin? Some are really tight, but ALL will come out if you use a stout enough punch and hammer.
Yeah, what AZshooter said. Wolf may not be the best ammo. little dirty and smoky sometimes but in total about 5000 rounds of various calibers I have never had a failure to fire except in a Mosin Nagant M-44. But it failed to fire every other round I put in it until I corrected the firing pin adjustment.

Good Luck!

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts