Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my AR out this weekend and was totally disappointed by the lack of performance.

i have already upgraded the extractor spring and regardless of that it would not function at all with the polymer coated wolf ammo. would not feed nor would it eject properly and several times the empty casings would seize in the chamber, forcing me to take my cleaning rod and punch the case out.
i had some zinc coated silver bear and that functioned much better.

the thing that really chaps my hide is that i have 1000 rounds of this stuff and i just need to find a way for it to work so that i can blast it up.

anyone experienced the same thing?

anyone have any helpful suggestions?

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
Some more info. is required. What length is your barrel? What type of chamber is it? What style of feed ramp do you have? Have you cleaned your chamber thoroughly? Are there any scratches on the casings? I will not bash you for buying Wolf, I use it also for plinking. John

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,912 Posts
Many, many folks have shot steel coated Wolf, Barnaul, Silver/Brown/Dancing Bear in all kinds of ARs, with few to no malfunctions. I haven't shot any of the polymer coated ammo yet, but will be shooting 2,000 rounds of the steel cased Barnaul at an upcoming carbine course.

What kind of upper in what configuration/barrel length/gas system do you have? How many rounds has it had through it prior to using the polymer coated ammo?
Pat

·
Registered
500 Posts
Many, many folks have shot steel coated Wolf, Barnaul, Silver/Brown/Dancing Bear in all kinds of ARs, with few to no malfunctions. I haven't shot any of the polymer coated ammo yet, but will be shooting 2,000 rounds of the steel cased Barnaul at an upcoming carbine course.

What kind of upper in what configuration/barrel length/gas system do you have? How many rounds has it had through it prior to using the polymer coated ammo?
Pat
I had big problems with Wolf in my Rock River 20" upper. (.223 Wylde chamber). After hearing all the "stories" of the ammo in ar's I called them to see what they had to say. Rock River told me that I should avoid the above ammo in my firearm and it could void any warranty. The problems I experienced was failure to extract.

Howard

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the carbine is a 16" heavy barrel with the wylde chamber and a4 length grips (i guess that makes them short) it has possibly 600 rounds through it and i suppose i could have cleaned the chamber more thoroughly. however, i have shot federal, silver bear, S&B, and hunting shack reloads all with much better results and i suppose i bought the wolf because of the lure of lower priced plinking ammo, i frequently go shooting and buying top dollar ammo just to blast up the desert seems wasteful. now i suppose that unless i can get this wolf to work i will be hosed outta a couple hundred bucks.

i just wondered if some form of upgrade would help?
bad part is i think with the exception of about 180 rounds of federal the friggin wolf is all i have left.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,912 Posts
You may want to try cleaning the chamber really well.
Always good advice. I wonder if having a 5.56 chamber would make a difference? On the failures to extract, do you guys have the M4 style (black) insert with 5-coil spring, or the blue insert and a different spring?
Pat

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have upgraded the extractor spring and o ring however at this moment i cannot remember what color the insert is, and besides that there were numerous times that the extractor claw ripped off part of the case rim where they were making contact, so truly i believe that the power of my extractor is adequate, just need to figure out how to keep the cases from seizing in the chamber, and by the way when i purchased this AR i am sure that it is capable of shooting both 5.56 and .223, as i do believe that is what makes it the Wylde chamber unless i am mistaken

·
Registered
263 Posts
the wylde chamber is going to be a little tight for the wolf ammo, but you can try to polish your chamber with some flitz or jewelers rouge. find a barrel mop ( 30. cal. i think ) that fits the chamber put it on a section of cleaning rod and chuck it up in a drill,go slow.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,991 Posts
i have upgraded the extractor spring and o ring however at this moment i cannot remember what color the insert is, and besides that there were numerous times that the extractor claw ripped off part of the case rim where they were making contact, so truly i believe that the power of my extractor is adequate, just need to figure out how to keep the cases from seizing in the chamber, and by the way when i purchased this AR i am sure that it is capable of shooting both 5.56 and .223, as i do believe that is what makes it the Wylde chamber unless i am mistaken
You have an AR15 with a Wylde .223 chamber?

Here is a useful link for chamber dimensions.

http://www.ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

·
Registered
843 Posts
Might not want to polish the chamber. A lot of Soviet era gun chambers were a bit on the rough side and their ammo was compatible with that standard of finish. Sometimes the guns actually work better that way. Either way, polishing should not be necessary. But a thorough chamber-cleaning should be done. I'm not sure what a Wylde chamber is, but from what you've posted I gather it's a chamber that will accept 5.56 NATO but also does a fair job with .223 Rem. That should mean that it's a bit tight on the 5.56 NATO, and that's likely to be part of your difficulty. It should run okay on 5.56 NATO, but likely will require more thorough cleaning to maintain reliable cycling. I've never shot polymer coated ammo, but I've shot Wolf lacquered ammo. The lacquered ammo tends to jam after a bit of shooting, and was almost guaranteed to glue a standard brass case into the chamber if I switched over to brass without cleaning. As noted above, bad ammo is good for learning gun-clearing drills. There's actually so much value in practicing those drills that I'd suggest you roll with it and use up that ammo in practice. BTW -- your post reminded me of a Viet Vet who was a LRRP telling me he carried an M60 because he knew he could keep it in the fight, and that he kept an assembled M-16 cleaning rod sticking out of his pack so he could whip it out and knock stuck cases out of his buddies' M-16s in the middle of firefights. I don't remember what year(s) he was in Vietnam. Might have been experience with the early M-16s with their bare steel bores and incorrectly matched powders.

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,934 Posts
Polymer gray, another color is lacquer. I run the stuff in a RRA upper with a Wylde chamber and it still transfers some stickiness.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Wolf 223 is equal opportunity junk. They jam in all my 223 rifles, chrome plated Bushmaster AR, NM ARs, Galil, C93, 223 Fal. About the only rifle that shoots it well is a Daewoo K1A1. On the other hand, the 5.45 runs like a champ in my 5.45 AR, a Saiga and Sar-2.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Yeah, you might want to brush up that breech. And the sticking problems are from carbon buildup. The .223 with a steel case doesn't expand properly. I run it exclusively through very nice AR's. NEVER had a problem. The only problems I ever had was with reloads I bought from the gunshop as a 'newb" the old man wasn't trimming right or seating right either.... I actually had ammo that was too long for the mag... eehhh.. Thats how you end up with a exploding upper. Like that youtube vid. Just bang the forward assist until your satisfied then BANGGGGG!!!!!!

Oh you will no doubt have a problem if you swap from steel to brass. The brass will expand against the buildup then stuck....

·
Gold Bullet member
377 Posts
I have found that after the 2nd 30 rnd mag..the polymer coating on the Wolf "melts" in the hot chamber, I also have had many failure to extract issues..most time ripping off a chunk of the rim. ALL of my Ar's are fluted 5.56. I keep the flutes and chamber as clean as possible..but I cant wait to shoot up all this crappy ammo!! all i have been getting as of late is brass case ammo to replace the Wolf. One rifle has no trouble eating it though..my old bushy HBAR likes it OK..so that where it gets used. Strange though that 7.62x39 always runs great in my SKS's and AK's..same coating..different result. Z

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,889 Posts
I got to go play the lotto, the polymer coated stuff has yet to malfunction in my AR's, Daewoo or Galil... :) I'd say you're running bargain basement ammo in a tight chamber.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
I am a lucky guy, neither in my Bushmaster or in the Romanian AK47 the Wolf/Barnaul russian ammo failed, not once in more than 2000 rounds each, maybe i'm just lucky-

1 - 20 of 45 Posts