Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.........How many members here have a M1891 Three-Line Rifle with a finger spur stock???

I know that everyone is getting tired of seeing my Turkish issue and marked 1894 dated Chatellerault with finger spur, but how many others are out there??? Martin, have you run one of your survey's on surviving M91s with the finger spur intact rather than filled in?

I'm curious as to just how many are around and where these survivors fall in terms of rarity???

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Uhhhhh........I doubt anyone is ever tired of your photographs. Envious, yes, tired of, nope.

·
Registered
726 Posts
JPS- I think your examples are the only ones I've ever seen with the finger groove still intact.. I've seen several stocks that have had that area filled in, but I think other than yours I think i've seen only one other one.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
I've never done a survey, but there are only two that I can find pictured on the interwebz, John. Yours and mine.

Also, in order to have a proper finger rest rig, you need a square backed mag like the following.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Ohhhhh, you guys. You both probably have a 1907 original PEM sniper modified to PE mounts carried by Joe Stalin while hunting Red deer at Hitler's retreat. On the other hand, If memory serves correctly.......and that is questionable at best, I thought there was another one posted on here at one time.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Martin!

Thank you for sharing your amazing rifle with us! WOW!!!

That's a real beauty in completely original configuration other than the recoil bolt. My example was upgraded with sling slots with the swivels removed, the Kornovalov rear sight has replaced the early flat sight leaf. Like yours Martin, it has been upgraded with a recoil bolt. It has the proper square backed magazine and also lacks a handguard.

While it isn't nearly as rare as yours relative to originality, it makes up some of that ground based on it's history. We can assume that the following scenario is possible based on deductive reasoning. It was most likely rebuilt in Imperial Russian service, then captured by the Turks during the campaign in the Caucasus, issued to a Turkish unit and was eventually recaptured by the Russians or repatriated after the war. Who knows where it served prior to it ending up in Spain with the Republicans, prior to being imported by Interarms sometime in the 50s?

What is the above scenario based on???

The sling slots and Kornovalov rear sight leaf are most certainly Russian additions. In 1908 this rifle was already 14 years old.

The Caucasus Campaign???

The rifle has absolutely NO German or Austro-Hungarian capture or inspection markings what-so-ever. The most active front where the Russians squared off with the Turks was in the disastrous campaigns in the Caucasus Mountains in Anatolia.

Between the fighting and the harsh winter conditions, casualties on both sides were in the hundreds of thousands. The fighting was continual from the start of operations in November of 1914 until the Russian Revolution in 1917. Entire divisions of the Ottoman Army stationed in the Caucasus were armed with captured M1891 Three-Line Rifles. So there is a very good chance that this rifle saw service on this front.

The "MADE IN USSR" import stamp on top of the receiver flat points to Spanish Civil War service since this import mark was applied by Interams on all of the rifles they imported from Spain in the 1950s. Stalin supplied weapons directly to the Republican forces fighting in Spain.

But in the end, these are educated guesses and the rifle speaks for itself!

So based on everyone's input, would it be safe to assume that less than 10 or perhaps even 5 exist among members here on Gunboards?

Thank you one and all for your input. If you can provide photos of the Balkan import racerguy, that would be greatly appreciated!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
It's like following a treasure map, John. But I believe you have read into all of the clues correctly. The gun surely has a storied past.

And agreed, perhaps only a handful or two guns will still have the finger spur intact.

Mine does not have such treasured history, as it is a 'put together' from two bubba'd guns. The 1895 Tula with flat sight leaf came with a chopped stock. The finger spur stock was found on a 1909 Sestroyetsk which had been parkerized for some odd reason. Otherwise, I would have left the stock on the gun. But it just wasn't right.

The stock itself has had the cleaning rod nut moved to the rear position for the full length rod, received a crossbolt, was stamped with a Deutches Reich roundel, and had a small sleeved insert installed in the fore end for a presumed wire swivel.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Beautiful rifles both!

KH had an IIRC original Chatellerault M91 for sale, I believe obtained from a museum and was if I am correct, unissued. It retained the finger spur.....boy I wanted that rifle in a bad way....but...I was deep in debt at the time and was pulling myself out and could not swing buying that beautiful rifle.

I recall very few rifles with the finger spur being posted over the years....mebbe just the few posted above.

Pahtu.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
That's an interesting stock on your friend's rifle, Dave. It has a sleeved wire insert in the rear, very similar to the front insert in my stock above.

Check the right side of the buttstock, it may have a Deutches Reich stamp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.