Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took almost a month to complete the deal but I now own it...It's a Winchester model 67 with scope, offset proof and british proofed...It also has a faint US mark in the stock but that was scrubbed when broad arrow was added...Buttplate has a yellow paint mark which I believe the british did to designate caliber ( red band on .30-06 rifles another example)....Paid a little more than I wanted but they just didn't make that many that made it back!

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,977 Posts
Very nice indeed. I would think that the "US" mark on the stock is a British unit mark of some sort as I am not aware of any US miititary association with these rifles, Model 677. I expect the yellow mark is an inventory marking as was done on various No.4 Mk1(T) wooden chests. I will have to dig out my British US made rifles and see if they are also marked.

If possible could you provide the height of the two bases, measured from the barrel to the top of the base. I have the rifle and scope but am having trouble find the bases. Many thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice indeed. I would think that the "US" mark on the stock is a British unit mark of some sort as I am not aware of any US miititary association with these rifles, Model 677. I expect the yellow mark is an inventory marking as was done on various No.4 Mk1(T) wooden chests. I will have to dig out my British US made rifles and see if they are also marked.

If possible could you provide the height of the two bases, measured from the barrel to the top of the base. I have the rifle and scope but am having trouble find the bases. Many thanks.
The height of the bases are 3/16"...At least on this rifle...one is numbered 212 assuming a catalouge number?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys

I've got several of the 67s with scopes that came back from England.

One of mine (a 677 - no iron sights, just the scope) also has the yellow paint on the butt. I thought some kid did it. I didn't know this was something the Brits might have done. Interesting.

The bases on a 67 with iron sights would be the #5 on both front and back. There should be a number stamped on the side of each base. The #5 was .410" high according to Winchester.

Love the site! Fun to talk about these old guns.

Rob

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,977 Posts
Thanks for the information. I suspect the yellow mark is an inventory mark based on my past Automobile manufacturing experiences. When you have a number of items to sort, repair or just look at, you need a means of visibly marking the items as having been sorted. If you are looking for one thing, or repairing one thing, you use one color to indicated it was done. Then the next run with a different problem you use a different color or put marking in a different location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.