Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Initially the M12 Trench Gun came in both the blued and parkerized finishes. The blued ones were in the 980,000 to 1,029,000 range and the parkerized ones in the 1,030,000 to 1,040,000 range. I have seen several M12 Trench Guns that were originally blued but are now sporting a parkerized finish.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Initially the M12 Trench Gun came in both the blued and parkerized finishes. The blued ones were in the 980,000 to 1,029,000 range and the parkerized ones in the 1,030,000 to 1,040,000 range. I have seen several M12 Trench Guns that were originally blued but are now sporting a parkerized finish.
I am FAR from an expert on Winchester trench guns however I have read alot about them. From all that I have read, all 97's and 12's were originally blued and were parkerized in an after war rebuild program. Again I am no expert but have never encountered any imformation about factory parkerized. May I ask you where you obtained your imformation?

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
All WWI trench guns were blued. M97 Winchesters, and M10 Remingtons. Model 12 Winchesters were made in prototype only, and probably never made to France. These guns were parked in government facilities, after WWI. All models mfg during WWII, were factory parkerized, by whomever made them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Except for some of the Vietnam era shotguns, the only orginal factory parkerized US Military contract shotguns were the late made WW2 Winchester Model 12 trench guns. Every other riot or trench gun made during WW1 and WW2 had a factory blue finish. So, except for those late made WW2 Model 12 trench guns, any WW1 or WW2 made riot or trench gun that is parkerized has been refinished either during rebuild or privately.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Except for some of the Vietnam era shotguns, the only orginal factory parkerized US Military contract shotguns were the late made WW2 Winchester Model 12 trench guns. Every other riot or trench gun made during WW1 and WW2 had a factory blue finish. So, except for those late made WW2 Model 12 trench guns, any WW1 or WW2 made riot or trench gun that is parkerized has been refinished either during rebuild or privately.
I stand corrected. Guess I need to go back and read again. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,666 Posts
I am in the process of restoring a Stevens 520-30. It hadn't been parked, but it had been nickeled post war by a guy in San Antonio who made a living selling surplus mil shotguns to police officers and departments. I took it to a plater/deplater who is also appreicates firearms. He deplated it for me leaving the metal bare and unpitted. I had it reblued by a old Army armourer and parts dealer. Now comes the hard part. The damn thing's got more little parts than a Xerox machine.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Now comes the hard part. The damn thing's got more little parts than a Xerox machine.
I have exploded diagrams for the Stevens 520 which may be of some help. I can copy what I have and send to you. Be aware that the different models, -20, -30 have different internal configurations so parts for the -20 will not work in the -30 adn vice versa.

My Stevens 520-20 had a problem when I got it. It was only $35 so I can't really complain. Now I know why the price was so good. When the gun was fired, it would not unlock and the bolt release button had to be pushed each time the bolt was to be cycled. After much time and puzzling over the action, I determined that a part was missing from the gun. Some one reassembled the gun, left out and lost the part. I searched for several years to find the part I needed and never did find it. I finally had to machine the missing part. It was a trial and error process as I didn't have any pattern or exemplar to follow. It now works just fine. It was a riot model and came with a vented hand guard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts