Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at this Winn M1 serial no.1340xxx.I Have not seen it in person just pictures.It does have the Var barrel with a Winn bolt.The muzzle gauges 1 and TE is 2.Overall the gun looks desent in the pictures.The owner says ita a Danish return.Will see it this weekend.It does have the CMP papers.He's at $850.00.Is this a fair price?Any input on the Danish returns?

·
Diamond Bullet member
5,243 Posts
$850 isn't a steal, but the Danish returns are usually in good shape, and the Winchester cachet doesn't hurt. The CMP provenance is a help as well. At that price condition is key, but worthy of serious consideration in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I think you could find something at the CMP as good or better (depending on what they have in stock), for a couple hundred less that would make you happy as a pig in mud. Buy directly from the source, in other words.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I have one of the Danish CMP guns with the VAR barrel (gauged 0+ and 1 when I got it) , and an arctic beech stock (the wood with the white flecks in it). Springfield action, Winchester bolt.

It is my favorite M1 (of the 3 I own) to shoot.

You can't go too far wrong at $850, as the bore (gauging 1 and 2) is in better shape than most of what the CMP currently has.

The bolt will probably be neatly electropenciled on top with an actual 4-digit serial number that doesn't match the rifle. If you can get over that, you will find the Dane to be a good gun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd say $850 is a fair price. I have a Dane Winchester from the CMP and I wouldn't let it go that cheap. Call me greedy, but local shops ask $900 for beat up SA's. I got 2 Danish Garands from the CMP. My Dane Springfield is all SA with a late war replacement SA barrel. The stock and handguards are USGI. The Dane Winchester came with a beech stock and walnut handguards. It's has an SA bolt and SA barrel. The beech stock is U-G-L-Y. Neither of them have any electro pencil numbers on them... just their serial numbers stamped into the stocks.

Neither of my Dane M1s came in as good condition as the two Greek Winchesters I have.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If the receiver is in nice condition and the barrel is not pitted or frosted, I'd think long and hard before I let that one walk away. The current CMP WRA rifles have very worn, reparked receivers. They arent' much to look at.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The barrel gauges within service grade specs for a CMP M1 Garand. Assuming the rest of the rifle would also meet service grade specs, $850 is reasonable. When CMP had them for sale, service grade Winchetsers were $795 plus the $22.95 shipping (older prices from last year). So, you are paying a $32 premium over the CMP price for a product the CMP largely does not have any more (they were still available through the South Store earlier this year. Not sure if that is still the case.) Most CMP Winchesters only had a Winchester receiver and did not have other Win parts. If the Winchester name is not important to you, you can get a better deal on a Springfield straight from the CMP.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The barrel gauges within service grade specs for a CMP M1 Garand. Assuming the rest of the rifle would also meet service grade specs, $850 is reasonable. When CMP had them for sale, service grade Winchetsers were $795 plus the $22.95 shipping (older prices from last year). So, you are paying a $32 premium over the CMP price for a product the CMP largely does not have any more (they were still available through the South Store earlier this year. Not sure if that is still the case.) Most CMP Winchesters only had a Winchester receiver and did not have other Win parts. If the Winchester name is not important to you, you can get a better deal on a Springfield straight from the CMP.
That's way more than my dad paid for his SG Winchester, a year and a half ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.