Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day, I came across a nice original looking Winchester carbine. It's in the 6.48 million range but it has the and as far as I can tell original Winchester L flip sight , flat bolt and type I barrel band. Everything seems like it's aged right , no evidence that a type 2 or 3 band was every on the gun no punch or stake marks on the receiver and it has the nice grey/ green park.
Is this right? I thought by this time Winchester was using the late parts? Was there some overlap with the early parts, like using up the older parts until the new ones were completely in production?
To my eye the parts seem like they were on the gun for a long time, but the serial makes me second guess myself.
Either way it seems like a nice carbine and I might have to go back and get it if it's still there.

I had the seller email me some pics

·
Registered
502 Posts
I can't tell you whether those parts are correct, but most, certainly prefer the "look" of the earlier parts. There is certainly overlap as updated parts come into circulation. If the price is right, buy it! What IS the price?? If it's price like a mixmaster, you can't go wrong.

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish it was priced like a mix master! Asking price is $1095 which I don't have a problem with but I wish I knew for sure if they overlapped parts that far into the serial range.
Honestly I prefer the look of the early parts too

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would be highly skeptical of that late of a Winchester M1 carbine having early parts on it. Chances are it's an attempt to make a later Winchester look like an earlier one perhaps by using fake or even real parts. I have seem more than a few very late carbines restored to earlier specs to try and make a few bucks at sales time and there are probably people who restore later carbines for their own personal pleasure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to have the shop send me some pics of the parts. Even if it's not "correct" for the serial range, overall it's a nice carbine. I'll have to go back to look in person again to see if I'm still feeling it, maybe make an offer....last 2 pics.
I'm pretty sure the parts are authentic even though maybe not correct for the serial range

thanks guys

·
Banned
119 Posts
I think if you do a little research, you'll find that your Winchester is most likely correct. Type 1, 2 & 3 parts were being mixed during this time frame due to shortages. Also, for the price it's a steal! How is the stock cartouched?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if you do a little research, you'll find that your Winchester is most likely correct. Type 1, 2 & 3 parts were being mixed during this time frame due to shortages. Also, for the price it's a steal! How is the stock cartouched?
Wow, that's good to know. The little info I was able to gather had me questioning it it because it made it seem like the latter parts were exclusively being used at the time.
If I recall the only marks were a little w in the sling well and a crossed cannons cartouche on the side, the stock had been previously lightly sanded.
I have it on hold, I'm going to check her out after work, more than likely bring her home too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Well lets start with the parts that are just plain wrong on a carbine dated this late in production. We start with the rear sight. It should be an adjustable rear sight and most likely with an H in a shield stamped on it. In use since about May 1944. Then there is the bolt. A type 3 round bolt would be right and not a type 2 flat bolt. Round bolt in use from about May 1944. Then there is the barrel band. It's a type 1 which was discontinued about May 1944 for the type 2 which would have been discontinued about December 1944 in favor of the type 3 band with the lug. Oh by the way this carbine was made about February/March 1945. I would suggest that you go and take a lot of photos of everything on it and then post them here....BEFORE.....you buy it!!!!

·
Banned
119 Posts
If you can get a copy of CCNL # 355 will probably answer a lot of questions. I would check for stake marks around rear sight and look for scratches at the front sight to see if it's been removed. If they'll let you take it apart, check for parts have 'W' marks. Take lots of pics for reference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where can I find that? as to the rear sight, from the pics it doesn't look like its been staked or punched and doesn't appear to have been welded and ground. To my eye it looks like that has been the only sight on there but what the hell do i know? I'll have pics in a while, I asked them to take her apart and send pics...this is a friend of a friends place....it's just being offered as a nice M1 carbine with early features not a all matching correct piece. I should be out there lte tonight to take a first hand look again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
More pictures are needed and I would hold off buying until you get them posted. Winchester had moved their proof marks up the barrel by now to take into account the larger barrel bands being used then, approximately where is the intertwined P&W mark from the muzzle end? I suspect this is someone's attempt at replicating an earlier carbine or perhaps something more nefarious.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a few pics sent....even if it was made to look like an early carbine, I might see if I can get it for less

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's where I'd expect to see the Winchester proof (and W) on a late Winchester carbine so the barrel is probably original to the rifle. The front sight is not Winchester I feel, maybe it's the angle of the picture, but I don't see any of the indicators of it being a WRA front sight. The mag catch is legit (50 dollar part+/-), plus the stock intrigues me with the type one barrel band marks only. I wonder what the rest of it looks like. Good luck if you buy.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I agree with Only Carbines. The front sight is not what one would find on a Winchester. Can you get pictures of it looking down on it and full right side photos of the stock and close ups of the sling well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we did come to an agreement and I will be taking it home at the end of the week. Here are the last of the pics I have, I know that the handguard is wrong, it's marked IO, but over all I really like it. It's just going to be a shooter anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.