Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back story:

I have been looking for while now for a lever rifle to be used as a truck gun. I don't want anything too awfully nice, but I also don't want one that has been beat to death. Prices lately have been kind of nuts with even garden variety post '64 M94's going for stupid money and I had pretty much given up hope that one was going to come my way at a price I could afford.

I missed out several months ago when a local shop had a finish worn M94 from the fifties for just under $600 that I would have bought, but at the same time they also had a pretty decent Winchester Model 1873, which just happens to be another rifle I have been looking for. This particular one was made in 1888 and was chambered in 44-40 and at the same time they had a very nice Marlin Model 1893 in .38-55. I didn't have enough money for all three and opted to get the '73 and the Marlin. The M94 of course was gone when I went back a few weeks later.

A few weeks ago I traded off a rifle that I never shoot for a 1955 vintage Model 94 carbine + I got some money on top of it

I figure that I have about $500 in the Winchester so I am very, very happy. (y)

Fast forward to last Monday:

I was bored and decided to go on a gun store crawl to see what was out there and purely by accident I found a new store that I hadn't been to before. On the wall along with the usual assortment of AR's and tackicool shotguns was a somewhat forlorn looking Savage 99F. As is my habit I told the owner that I was primarily interested in military surplus and C&R firearms. He pointed to the Savage and said that it was the only old gun he had in the store and he would give me a deal on it if I paid cash. Of course that piqued my interest and when he said that I could have it for $420 OTD, I said I'd take it.

Made in 1956 and chambered in .308, I have changed up my plan to use the M94 as my truck gun and instead I'm going to use the Savage. There is fair amount of bluing wear on the receiver and the rest of the rifle has the typical bumps and bruises of a gun that was used for years as a hunting rifle. I have to do a minor repair on the stock where a poorly installed sling swivel was off center and crooked has stripped out of it's mounting hole. Mechanically it is tight as a new gun and the bore is perfect. I have a nice vintage Redfield Tracker 3x9 scope and am only waiting on a set of rings to arrive to install it. The best part is that I got enough money out of the Winchester 94 trade so that I still have a few bucks left over to buy some bullets to work up a hunting load.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,947 Posts
You will like the 99. A lot. They are slick and generally shoot very well. I have one (in 250 Savage) and love it. BUT somehow it isn't s quick from a rack as the M94 I inherited from Dad (his office gave it to him when he retired in 1979). It ain't reasonable, though I expect part of it is the 94 is a little shorter than the Savage.

·
Silver Bullet member
30,682 Posts
A pre-mil 99F in .308 Winchester is the best of all worlds: A modern/common caliber with Savage's high-quality build.

You're going to be very happy with it

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
For years before ever hearing the term "truck gun" if to be characterized by what such describes, I'd have said synonym for '17 Enfield; common denominator, "Bubba" abused! 'A phase', such my "gun show rescues"! My purchases, funding 'beer all round' donations for sellers as well as providing their motive to celebrate! :)

That said, very much speaking for itself the following Savage & Bubba Ho... Meld aka, Chubby Stubby! Bought cheap & fitting the profile including 16" barrel... Wack! Works for me & here "speaking for itself!" in viewing and literally in muzzle report, oh my! :)
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
I believe that was re-barreled? Putting a new barrel on a 99 Savage separates the the men from the boys in gunsmithing, especially if it is a T/D and you use the same wood.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,947 Posts
For years before ever hearing the term "truck gun" if to be characterized by what such describes, I'd have said synonym for '17 Enfield; common denominator, "Bubba" abused! 'A phase', such my "gun show rescues"! My purchases, funding 'beer all round' donations for sellers as well as providing their motive to celebrate! :)

That said, very much speaking for itself the following Savage & Bubba Ho... Meld aka, Chubby Stubby! Bought cheap & fitting the profile including 16" barrel... Wack! Works for me & here "speaking for itself!" in viewing and literally in muzzle report, oh my! :)
Best & Stay Safe!
John
A 99 with a 16" bbl in .375 Win would be a kills at both ends piece I do suggest. And noisy, but a slick gun for the truck, yes.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Just getting back aboard and... No Deer, I do believe the barrel is original. A quite short production of this model and the SN/production period is correct. Moreover, the straight grip stock and distinctive forearm configuration, are correct for the .375 Model. Possible barrel swap, of course. Likely, odds seem long against! Main thing, 'it shoots'! And as Clyde aptly observes, destruction from both ends with ear protection definitely recommended! Only exceeded to recollection by my 375 H&H Sako full stock with 20" barrel; oh my! :)
Best & Stay Safe!
John

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
iskara is correct that Savage produced a .375Win but I don't recall the 16" barrel being an option. Could be wrong tho......

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was unaware of the straight grip option. It looks as if there is a counter too. That did not seem right because the .375 is a late comer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts