Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a post 64 Winchester 94 (30-30) that wants to open up when you squeeze off a round - yep you heard right. If you have a relaxed grip, which I normally do, the bolt will slide out of battery when you fire a round, opening the action slightly - not very much, but enough to want to find out what the cause for this could be, and fix it, if possible.

The rifle was given to me in very poor condition. The bore looks brand new, literally, with no signs of any erosion whatsoever in the throat, but I imagine the previous owner must have sat on the couch and cycled the action about 2,000,000 times, because the contact surfaces on the rear of the bolt and associated locking lug, are worn mirror smooth as glass.

The rifle is so scary accurate that you would think I was bs'ing. You would have to see it with your own eyes to believe it. If you keep a good grip on the lever when squeezing one off the action stays locked up fine.

Nevertheless, I would still like to know what to look for...

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,254 Posts
There is a spring loaded plunger on the back of the bottom plate that engages the receiver when the action is closed and keeps it closed. See if the plunger has a broken or weak spring or if it is stuck. What you describe is not dangerous but should not happen. The firing pin should not hit the primer if the action is too far open.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If the lever drops AND the breech bolt opens even slightly after fireing (exposing the cartridge) there is a problem.
Your hand is not part of the locking system on the rifle. It is designed to stay locked up on it's own when fired.

If the breech bolt is opening on it's own when firing, then there is a problem with either the locking bolt, the breech bolt, or both.
Those mirror polished locking surfaces may actually have been altered a bit. They may have altered the angles allowing them to cam open upon fireing instead of locking.

If on the other hand,,the only problem is that the lever droops a fraction of an inch off of the lower tang when you don't keep hand pressure on it,,BUT the breech stays locked up upon firing, then the problem is a kp describes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts