Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There aren't many lever action posts here, I shoot my lever action more than any of my other rifles so i have lots of videos.

I just thought I would post one of the videos of me shooting it, not many people think 30-30s are accurate but they are.

I choose that video because you can see the bullet better than any other video I have ever seen. :)

I took that scope off and an trying some 110gr carbine bullets presently, they are a lot cheaper and fly pretty darn fast. I load them one at a time into the chamber directly to avoid accidental discharge.

I hope to see more lever action posts here... Especially Winchester 94 30-30s! :thumbsup:

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,410 Posts
Impressive, in a couple of ways. Nobody I respect thinks the 30-30 cartridge is inherently inaccurate. M-94s, however, are not generally thought of as long-range guns, and the 30-30 round, with its typically flat-nosed bullets at moderate velocities is a round that calls for some really serious range-estimation and experience to handle the trajectory issues when you try and reach out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
serious range-estimation and experience to handle the trajectory issues
My range time today exemplifies that comment. I'm going to write a post on it to get some opinions on the issue here as soon as I get some images and a video uploaded.
But in short; I am using 110gr RN bullets with it and my POI is 12 inches lower than the last time I shot it. I am thinking the wind coming up the hill last time pushed my light ballistically inefficient bullet higher. Combine that with the 20 degree higher temperature making my velocity greater and gain the 12 inches.

I should have had my chronograph going.

Shooting my 30-30 at 300 yards is akin to shooting my 30-06 at 600.

Thanks!

·
99,410 Posts
ive always found the 30 30 to be an exceptional cartridge

the first smokeless rifle cartridge and i have owned many

lever action rifles chamber for it

FIVESHOT
Hardly. I don't even think it is the first nitro-propellant loaded sporting cartridge, but would have to poke around a bit to verify the accuracy of that thought. Earlier smokeless rifle cartridges include the .303 British (initially a compressed BP loading, but changed to Cordite in 1892); French 8x50R Lebel1886; German 7.92x57 of 1888; the 7.65x53 of 1889; Russian 7.62x54R of 1891; Italian 6.5x52 of 1891. Etc/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Impressive, in a couple of ways. Nobody I respect thinks the 30-30 cartridge is inherently inaccurate. M-94s, however, are not generally thought of as long-range guns, and the 30-30 round, with its typically flat-nosed bullets at moderate velocities is a round that calls for some really serious range-estimation and experience to handle the trajectory issues when you try and reach out.
That is the effect of recoil. With the heavyer bullet the bullet is in the bore longer. Recoil begins as soon as the round is fired. So the time it is in the bore effects POI. With the lighter bullet the time the bullet is in the bore is less, because of higher FPS. So it hits lower then the heavy bullet, because of less muzzle rise. You see the same thing in all fire arms. It's there in pistols as well.

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
Wow - honestly, with all the tons of rounds of 30-30 I have burned up - I do not recall trying to hit anything at 1200 feet!! That's about 40 years of shooting. Doubt I could even see a water bottle at that distance - LOL!! I still have 2 left, one Spruce gun and one modern '94 (from the 70's). I love levers, have a .35 Marlin, a 300 Sav 1899 breakdown and a .358 sav 99A (What a mule!) oh yes, and my .22 29a - :)

·
99,410 Posts
That is the effect of recoil. With the heavyer bullet the bullet is in the bore longer. Recoil begins as soon as the round is fired. So the time it is in the bore effects POI. With the lighter bullet the time the bullet is in the bore is less, because of higher FPS. So it hits lower then the heavy bullet, because of less muzzle rise. You see the same thing in all fire arms. It's there in pistols as well.
No, it is primarily the effect of the amount of drop the slow bullet experiences. Means a rainbow trajectory at longer ranges. And because of that, range estimation at longer ranges is critical. Any ballistic program or trajectory table will provide data on this. The recoil effect is - a small and generally ignorable effect in this regard.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I believe that long range sight capability inhibits the 30/30 rifles. The typical Springfield rifles are equipped with long range sight potential and did do well, and most likely continue to do so today.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hardly. I don't even think it is the first nitro-propellant loaded sporting cartridge, but would have to poke around a bit to verify the accuracy of that thought. Earlier smokeless rifle cartridges include the .303 British (initially a compressed BP loading, but changed to Cordite in 1892); French 8x50R Lebel1886; German 7.92x57 of 1888; the 7.65x53 of 1889; Russian 7.62x54R of 1891; Italian 6.5x52 of 1891. Etc/
Actually I think the .30/30 was the first smokeless round designed for purely sporting use, I think that's what fiveshot was getting at.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Eddystone,
That is a neat video. I have participated in many jug shoots. In fact we're saving up some now for a pre-season warm up shoot. I used to shoot NRA high power rifle silhouette so I know a little about trajectory. As your video shows, that 160 is dropping like a rock at 400. It's like shooting plastic soda bottles at 70 yards with a 55lb. draw bow and arrow. Fun for demonstration purposes but not very practical. I have loaded the 110 gr. "carbine" bullet in the 30-30 also. I'm confused about your statement: I load them one at a time into the chamber directly to avoid accidental discharge.What do you mean? A magazine tube ignition? I doubt that round nose can light a primer. I was using them in a single shot anyway.
Before the Hornady Flex Tip my favorite 30-30 bullet was the 125gr flat nose hollow point. In lever actions. Although the 125 has a good velocity advantage over the 160 the 160's better ballistic coefficient wins out even at "real world" but still pushing it, deer hunting ranges. With poor aerodynamics and lack of mass the 125 just can't keep up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts