Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I just bought couple hundred rounds from Walmart for $18 a 50rnd box. They sold out very quick I wonder if this price is ok. I just got a new HK USP 45C, can't wait to her to the range

·
Platinum Bullet member
558 Posts
It's OK, actually beats what Aim Surplus has right now. Aim has had cheaper brass cased .45ACP recently though.

If you don't have sales tax, that comes out to $.36 a round. If you do...

Otherwise,
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AFED45Bulk&groupid=32 American Eagle 250rd bulk pack comes out to $.40 a round before shipping (and AIM's shipping is fair)

The real test is... would I buy it at that price at my local Walmart...the answer would be YES if I didn't reload. I can reload lead (or plated lead) for $.14 a round or so, or load FMJ for about $.25 to $.30 a round (have yet to find a decent source of bulk FMJ bullets).

·
Administrator
3,480 Posts
I haven't seen any 45 at Walmart in more than a year. I guess $18 per 50 is an alright price these days but it sure sounds expensive! The last time I bought 45 it was 500 rounds of Wolf for $75. Wish I would have bought more!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Hi Mike O. Do you get decent accuracy with that Wolf stuff? I have a bunch and am not very impressed with it from my Rock Island. I did pay about the same as you did, 35-40% of what Cabela's is charging right now. I also had Wolf .380 and was equally unimpressed with that. It isn't terrible, but I sold it off because my Star and Beretta 70s hated it.

·
Administrator
3,480 Posts
I've had excellent results with the Wolf 45 in my GI Rem Rand 1911A1 and my Glock 36. I'd buy more of it if the price came down and availability increased.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
...YES if I didn't reload. I can reload lead (or plated lead) for $.14 a round or so, or load FMJ for about $.25 to $.30 a round...
Plated bullets work great in all of my handguns so I have no need for FMJ bullets. If you are reloading .45ACP with plated bullets for $.14/round, either you are using some old reloading supplies or you have better sources for components than I do. Primers are over $.03/ea and powder is about $.015/round so that leaves less than $.10 for a plated 230gr bullet. I can't find plated bullets for under $100 per thousand (shipped).

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Plated bullets work great in all of my handguns so I have no need for FMJ bullets. If you are reloading .45ACP with plated bullets for $.14/round, either you are using some old reloading supplies or you have better sources for components than I do. Primers are over $.03/ea and powder is about $.015/round so that leaves less than $.10 for a plated 230gr bullet. I can't find plated bullets for under $100 per thousand (shipped).
I don't bother with plated, no need to.

My IDPA handload costs me about $14/100, current purchase components.
The bullets cost me about $107/1000, shipped.

My XTP/HP is closer to $30/100 if I buy the bullets online, more locally in stores.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Steel wolf cases, good way to ruin $35 worth of carbide/titanium die.

IF you get them to resize, expect one aditional firing, and picking them all up split.

·
Platinum Bullet member
558 Posts
Actually,

I am using old components for a lot of the re-loading, since a friend convinced me to buy 10K rounds of plated several years ago.

The new lead ammo (not plated) can be loaded for $.14 though. My cost for plated is about the same because it's several years old.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It's OK, actually beats what Aim Surplus has right now. Aim has had cheaper brass cased .45ACP recently though.

If you don't have sales tax, that comes out to $.36 a round. If you do...

Otherwise,
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AFED45Bulk&groupid=32 American Eagle 250rd bulk pack comes out to $.40 a round before shipping (and AIM's shipping is fair)

The real test is... would I buy it at that price at my local Walmart...the answer would be YES if I didn't reload. I can reload lead (or plated lead) for $.14 a round or so, or load FMJ for about $.25 to $.30 a round (have yet to find a decent source of bulk FMJ bullets).

Have you tried MidwayUSA?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.