Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just won these boxes on GB. This ammo looks pretty good to go with my Savage No. 4 Mk l's. Just like the thought of American ammo for my American Enfield!

AC

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,905 Posts
Cool looking ammo, let us know how it shoots.
Pat

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do think it should shoot well. Winchester has a good reputation. The seller stated it was collectible ammo and should not be shot due to age. I think it should work if I wanted it to! I'll just hang on to it for emergency use only!

AC

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,762 Posts
I think the ammo will go bang just fine. I've been shooting quite a bit of WW II vintage .303 ammo over the years, without any problem. Actually it's been better than most of the 60's made POF .303 ammo I've had.
However - I think I'd save the ammo for the collection though and shoot more commonly available ammo instead

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Is that a '49 date on the headstamp? You think the world would be AWASH in .303 in the years after WW2. Try and find a Lake City 47-49 date headstamp, not too common.

I shot up a bunch of 40s date Winchester .303 years ago. It did just fine. That stuff and Winchesters WW2 7.92mm Mauser was loaded with some of Winchesters earliest Ball Powders.

·
Gold Bullet member
801 Posts
thats fine ammo. I got a bunch of it but I dont have any nice boxes like you got.
the ammo shoots just fine if you want to shoot it but then it will loose its collector value.
its reloadable. just be sure to aneal the necks they are a bit brittle.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information about being reloadable, Mr E. I wondered about that.

I paid $39 for the two boxes, so at almost a buck a shot I think I'll save it.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
I think there were quite a few rifles over here that were in .303 Brit. (at least my 1895 Winchester lever-action is).
In 1949? Most of those 1985s were in Canada and those rifles were not exactly thick up there!

That was a Military Contract for someone who received British Rifles after WW2. I just can't imagine that they could not have scrounged up some WW2 ammo to go with those guns. Maybe Uncle Sam paid for that ammo to rack up some Brownie Points at that time and place in History.

We alway seem to pay!

·
Administrator
9,576 Posts
Winchester was making .303, 9mm, .45ACP & 7,92 Military ammo well into the 1960s, for all sorts of Customers (Israel, Indonesia, many African states, some European (allies) and so on. Winchester (Olin Industries) assisted Greece in Modernizing the Piraeus Plant of PCH, to produce .303 (single flash-hole and Ball Powder) in the 1960s, as part of the US Offshore Procurement Program ( PCH made .30/06 and 7,62 Nato to US Specs...better known now as "HXP").

Most countries didn't want "Milsurp" of uncertain age, storage condition, or "ownership"...they wanted New ammo, with definite specs and provenance.

Most of this "Post-WW II" ammo was marked in a Military manner,(WRA + but some was just WRA "Commercial "(no dates)

Regards,

Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this 49 date ammo corrosive? I'm thinking yes, but that is a guess.

AC

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Winchester was making .303, 9mm, .45ACP & 7,92 Military ammo well into the 1960s
1960s and Beyond for the .303....we had a very nice batch of Military .303 By Winchester come into the USA around 1990 or so that was 1981 dated. "White Boxed" and in USGI .50cal cans of 400rds. The ammo is long gone now, but I still have one of the cans... The ".303" markings make it a quite unusual 50cal ammo can.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,814 Posts
It is good ammo. I've got a number of the red boxes that were for synchonous guns i.e. spitfires, etc. I'm hanging onto my original boxes and ammo although your boxes look to be in excellent condition. If I could sell the red box ammo at a buck a round I think I would seriously consider it !!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
1960s and Beyond for the .303....we had a very nice batch of Military .303 By Winchester come into the USA around 1990 or so that was 1981 dated. "White Boxed" and in USGI .50cal cans of 400rds. The ammo is long gone now, but I still have one of the cans... The ".303" markings make it a quite unusual 50cal ammo can.
I still have three cans of the 1980s Winchester. I bought it from Paragon in the spring of 1993.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.