Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I am in the right thread for this question..... Before selling this 1910 I am trying to get a general price of what this rifle is worth.... I found plenty of info on the common 1910's but cannot seem to find information on the silver/knickel finish..... Purchased at an auction about 5 years ago and was wondering if anyone could help me on info....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Is this a factory finish or just a refinish? A lot of these rifles had high nickel receivers (though this one may not with serial number greater than 10,000: I forget the changeover date/serial number correlations) and bluing loss was pretty common. I don't think special orders were too common on these rifles and I don't see checkering on the stock like some had. Scope mount and compensators weren't typical to my limited knowledge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.... It looks like an after market scope unfortunately screwed into the rifle... I do not know if it was a factory finish or refinish and have looked quite a bit and still unable to find one that was factory finished like this..... Could be though...... Hope someone recognizes the nature of the finish with that serial number.....

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,793 Posts
1. If you really want to know - contact Cody and get a factory letter. I THINK FLs are available for the 1910s, but to be sure you would have to contact them;

2. That looks like a very well-done and fairly recent refinish, including the stock;

3. That side-mount from Williams is (of course) a modification, and if the gun is all-factory otherwise (I don't think it is) a very sad one. The compensator looks pretty modern in design, not period (if the gun was issued with one, which I do not think it was).

Value ? Whatever somebody will give. I suggest it looks nice and would probably bring a price similar to a 50-60% unmolested piece. $350-500? Depending.

Looks like it was made in 1913.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Clyde..... One good item is the magazine. I have been offered $275 for it... Worth more than the rifle sounds like.....

·
Registered
785 Posts
It does have pizazz. Somebody will always pay for that, and I don't mean that in a bad way. But, yeah. Never see the far side of $500.00. The scope mount is a killer.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I think marketing your gun to a knowledgeable buyer may be a tough act.

The problem seen here is a too common one. A gun with narrow range collector value and then typically sought in relatively prime condition. As noted, the mount alone forecloses collectible status. As a shooter, both a long obsolete cartridge and one of limited utility, having been largely employed in anti-personnel context. As a shooter, the fact of the similarly chambered and much more popular M1 Carbine a tough act to follow.

Yet as iwanna correctly notes, someone out there for that gun. Just 'at a price' and perhaps best exposed at a large gunshow. Further, certainly not quickly to part with that magazine and try to sell the rifle separately!

Of course, Good Luck and...
Just my take

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iwanna, My feelings also with that Williams scope mount..... That was very bad and looks it..... Thanks for your feedback....

·
Registered
724 Posts
WOW!! The things people do to old Winchesters. Guys that find vintage Winchesters appealing will be offended by the refinish(though appears well done) but as has been said there are guys who will look at it and approve. The Winchester 1905,1907 and 1910 do not generate near the interest as the lever guns in general and prices for original condition autos are not high in my area. The 1910 was the only one chambered in a capable woods round though. Someone at a gun show might throw $400 to $500 at you for that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts