Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be posting here my restock and conservation of a Winchester 1906 .22 rifle. It's owned by a friend of mine and he knew how much I like to work on and conserve guns so he pulled it out and I offered to take a crack at it.

As you can see, the existing stock has been repaired due to a long 3-4 inch crack. It works but isn't pretty. The finish is falling off and there are large gouges in the but stock (probably gumwood) not to mention a lot of finish.

I posted on here asking for insight on buttstock sources and a member, Fushigi Ojisan, pm'ed me and then sent me a stock he had left over. It's a nice walnut stock that with fitting should do the gun nicely. Thank you!!

I'll post pictures here of the project when I get back into town, I'll tackle the new stock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here's the new stock up against the old stock. It's an inch longer but I think that's a good thing. The old one is too short. I'm including picks of the action and buttpad to illustrate the fitting/sanding that needs to be done.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This tang screw did not want to come out. It holds on the stock. The slot was pretty much unusable and had to use a chisel to walk it out. It would bind on every turn and once I had it out it made sense. It was "S" shaped and was hanging up inside the hole in the stock. I ordered a new one as you can see. It seems long so I wonder if the tangs are bent towards each other. The new screw bottoms out and is still loose. I think whomever put the screw and net in the side of the stock also used a vise or channel locks to squeeze the tangs closer and I think that is what bent the original tang screw. If anyone has the measurements of the distance between the tangs at the tip, I'd love to see how much they are bent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's my setup. My old homebrewing pot for small parts and a homemade section of gutter for barrels and barreled actions. It works great with my wife's stove that has three gas burners on the back. I use tin foil to hold the heat in the gutter to boil faster.

I use the super soft 4 inch carding wheel from Brownell's in my drill press on medium speed. Does not mess with the original bluing or black rust and removes the orange rust. I follow Mark Novak on Youtube and he has some good videos explaining the hows and whys. After carding I soak the metal parts in kerosene via a small benchtop solvent tank for at least 24 hours but they usually wait in there until the next weekend. The kerosene soak gets all the moisture out and supposedly help "set" the new black rust and if I reblued it, the new bluing. I just used this technique on three Sig P226 magazines that had surface rust. Worked great and nice to have fully functional factory mags at 1/3 the price of new ones. If anyone wants to see pics of my small benchtop solvent soak tank and carding wheel set up just ask.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of "patina" is really rust under the oil. Yeah it looks old but the gun continues to deteriorate. Here's a pic of what I mean. I'll post an after when done.

·
Silver Bullet member
32,457 Posts
Wow, the stock arrived earlier, a bit surprised.

Almost wonder if it's worth trying to find a wider buttplate.

Also, could the tang screw be longer to accommodate a tang sight?

Looking forward to seeing this project progress.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Col and Shadow64

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like your thinking. There are a lot of these buttplates floating around and repops on Ebay as well. I'll see if any are larger as that would shorten the fitting time.

The screw is the same length as the old one as close as I can tell as it's bent. I'll measure it and compare it to tang sight screws I see for sale. A good suggestion.

·
Silver Bullet member
32,457 Posts
Depending on your budget, you might be able to find a Taurus tang sight for cheap (downside is they don't click-adjust).

I might have the correct screw, it's just a matter of laying hands on it.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Col and Shadow64

·
Registered
934 Posts
The 1906 is a smaller scale stock meant as a young boys rifle. Lop and buttplate are pretty small. Looks like you have a model 62 stock.
They are quite a bit larger.
I can give you exact measurements later off mine if desired.
Semi inlet stocks always have 1/16-1/8" more wood on outside to all for perfect fitting.
So either your going to have to use a 62 buttplate or slim the stock to 1906 dimensions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Iron Worker, thanks for the input. Yes, please post the measurements, I think that will be very helpful.

When I looked at buttplates, I found two sizes in terms of width, 11/16ths and 1 1/8". The original is 1 1/8th. Most part sources have the same buttplate for all three models I've found but that may be them just trying to move parts.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The 1906 uses an entirely different buttplate,very tiny as is the stock. Don't throw the 1906 stock away as it can be fixed .
You can probably get $50 for it on eBay as is.

I would probably counterbore each side over bolt and plug with beech or birch to cover up the old repair.

I can measure my 1906 and 62A this afternoon,will post then.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts