Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
View attachment 1931729 View attachment 1931737 View attachment 1931745 1919 vintage, been reblued and sling swivels added. Has a crude mark on the left side of receiver looks like a pine tree? Stamped import mark on lower tang. Any body know where this gun came from?
Hello Paul,

Your rifle went to Argentina for a while before it was refinished down there and then imported back to the U.S. I have been working on a research survey of the Model 1892's and have found approximately 30 carbines marked on the receiver the same as yours. Not all were imported by Century back to the U.S. Some in France, Germany, and Belgium. Is the lower tang marked with an importers name as shown in the attached photos?
View attachment 3398451

Michael

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Just a couple of comments. First, paul s, thanks for presenting a quite interesting appearing rifle. Just the gripe... To vent a bit of frustration. Would surely like to view pix of the whole rifle "in the wild". Good pix. Both sides +; barrel band, All markings. For me, an interesting rifle original or not. What's viewable, not 'centerfold' quality. :) :) :)

Michael, thank you for your comments which appear pivotal to solving the issue! Just the aside, your "Attachment" won't open.

Thanks for an interesting Thread!
iskra/John

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just a couple of comments. First, paul s, thanks for presenting a quite interesting appearing rifle. Just the gripe... To vent a bit of frustration. Would surely like to view pix of the whole rifle "in the wild". Good pix. Both sides +; barrel band, All markings. For me, an interesting rifle original or not. What's viewable, not 'centerfold' quality. :) :) :)

Michael, thank you for your comments which appear pivotal to solving the issue! Just the aside, your "Attachment" won't open.

Thanks for an interesting Thread!
iskra/John
Good morning John,

I edited my reply and got the images to load correctly. Ta Da!! It took y a couple years of digging around and searching several forums before I finally put this story together regarding these "pine tree" marked rifles. I heard lots of guess and "I think I read" sort of comments along the way. I am still searching for some good hard provable facts from the National Argentine Railway company that ordered the rifles. I would like to know exactly how many were purchased and when.

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.