Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Winchester 1892 44-40 made in 1896. Excellent bore with no pitting. Octagon barrel and receiver have nice brown patina. Action is smooth. Only issue is someone a long long time ago did a small repair work on the stock. Any idea of value? Paid $350 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,482 Posts
Have a Winchester 1892 44-40 made in 1896. Excellent bore with no pitting. Octagon barrel and receiver have nice brown patina. Action is smooth. Only issue is someone a long long time ago did a small repair work on the stock. Any idea of value? Paid $350 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on what I see in the way of 1892s, somewhere north of $1000 even with the stock repair and finish gone to smooth rust (that "brown patina" is polite talk for bluing gone to rust). How far north, probably have to look at it and consider where it is.

I'd judge you probably did very well on price if the purchase was recent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one in very good shape but was told by a local gunsmith that the octagonal barrel was bulged. What does this mean and how did it happen? He stated it killed the value. Gun was handed down by my father who never fired it. It was handed down to him from his father. Serial number is 165060.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,093 Posts
I have one in very good shape but was told by a local gunsmith that the octagonal barrel was bulged. What does this mean and how did it happen? He stated it killed the value. Gun was handed down by my father who never fired it. It was handed down to him from his father. Serial number is 165060.
bulged means it has a ring in the barrel, you should be able to see it if you place a mirror or bright object in the action and look down the bore,

sometimes affects accuracy, sometimes not,

probably from a barrel obstruction, or squib load,

question is, how does it shoot?

·
99,482 Posts
Looks like it has been refinished to me, though i suppose still all original finish with very good care since 1901 manufacture (DOM from Shennum & Hartman) is possible. Bulge would be caused from firing with tube obstructed, and depending on where it was would be from some sort of thing in barrel other than a bullet or a bullet from a squib. Closer to chamber, more likely a squib, closer to muzzle, more likely some foreign body.

Bulge would NOT "kill the value", but would be a substantial hit.

·
99,482 Posts
Never fired it. And as far as I know it has never been restored at least not after my father got it. I would venture to guess nothing since before my grandfather got it.
As I say - the impression I get from the photos leans toward it having been refinished at some point, but - not completely sure. Bulge could be old.

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,004 Posts
As I say - the impression I get from the photos leans toward it having been refinished at some point, but - not completely sure. Bulge could be old.
Could be from up North though: ie., never used, and not hunted with from generation down to generation to generation, but stuck back in a closet, oiled up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Never fired it. And as far as I know it has never been restored at least not after my father got it. I would venture to guess nothing since before my grandfather got it.
Reblued and wood refinished, as many....many working guns over the decades.
Attached images of a 98% factory original 1892 made in 1904, note color differential lever and hammer to the receiver. Note the wood to metal fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might be correct on the refinish. I would not even consider myself a novice on here, just interested in what I have is all. The back side shown in the pics is not in very good shape as far as the blue goes. Barrel has very small rust spots every so often. Wood looks to have some slight gaps between it and the metal, may mean it has been replaced. Butt plate is wood but looks to be alot darker.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
i think it was a full lenth rifle with full magizine that was refinished and the magizine tube was reduced(cut). here are pic,s of two of my 92,s with button magizines(half magizings) and you can see how the tube protrubes from the forearm cap a little bit. eastbank.

·
99,482 Posts
You might be correct on the refinish. I would not even consider myself a novice on here, just interested in what I have is all. The back side shown in the pics is not in very good shape as far as the blue goes. Barrel has very small rust spots every so often. Wood looks to have some slight gaps between it and the metal, may mean it has been replaced. Butt plate is wood but looks to be alot darker. View attachment 849115 View attachment 849119 View attachment 849128 View attachment 849129 View attachment 849130
That wooden butt-plate is not an original Winchester part. Winchester put steel butt-plates on Model 1892, either flat "shotgun" or crescent "rifle" plates. Possible the butt-plate is ebony.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts