Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that this is kind of a stupid question but I thought id ask anyway.Ive my little 1873 winchester here,in 44-40. Gun was made in 1890,sat on a restaurant wall for 40 years untouched. Had the bore relined at redman's in washington,beautiful job. My question is,in terms of safe and being able to shoot for a while.are cowboy loads ok being that they are smokeless,will they wear the bolt,or the action,etc.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,445 Posts
I feel that this is kind of a stupid question but I thought id ask anyway.Ive my little 1873 winchester here,in 44-40. Gun was made in 1890,sat on a restaurant wall for 40 years untouched. Had the bore relined at redman's in washington,beautiful job. My question is,in terms of safe and being able to shoot for a while.are cowboy loads ok being that they are smokeless,will they wear the bolt,or the action,etc.
I have been trying a box of winchester 225gr. cowboy loads in my 1873 and 1892 and they are very mild and safe. I would not use them for hunting. The only brand of ammo i would not use in a 73 is Brazilian Magtech as it seems a lot hotter than all other factory stuff. Just my 10 cents worth. chester.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,445 Posts
Fiocci .44-40

Just tried a box of Fiocci .44-40 thrue my Win. 92 at the range to-day and that is another brand i would not use in any Win 73. Cheers chester.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe you already knew this. 1873 has a toggle-action which is much weaker than 1892s' (which has locking lugs.) A stout load felt in 92 can probably damage the 73's toggle-pins and its frame.

Having said that, CAS loads (~200gr, below 1000 fps) are probably safe. However, the bullet diameter can go from .427 to .429. So, you might want to slug your barrel and mike the bullet just to make sure. Still, yours being an antique which is a lot more valuable then my repro, if not damaged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
winchester 1873 loads

I own a almost mint winchester 73, which was built in 1881, it is a 44-40. when it was bought by my father back in the early 60's the gunshop told him ONLY BLACK POWDER LOADS for it, i recently took it to another reputable gunshop and was told the same thing.Being that my gun was aparaised in the 6000 dollar range, i sure as hell am going to shoot what i was told, and reloading 44-40's really isn't a problem ( i use 200 grain JSP), i can reload a hell of alot cheaper than paying 42.00 a box for the new cowboy shells anyway

·
Registered
841 Posts
Most, if not all true cowboy action ammo is loaded to low pressures.
: To load your own, try the new Trail-boss powder marketed by Hodgdon and listed as IMR. 200gr. lead bullets are correct for this ctg.
: WW or RP ammo will be soft as well, designed for the weaker actions, which the M73 most definitely is.
; Jacketed bullets are never recommended for original BP guns, or guns designed for low pressure and lead bullets. The barrel steel (iron - prior to about 1890) in those guns is very soft and will suffer from a diet of jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why not load with black powder or a sub like pyrodex, that is what it was made to shoot.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would not use Pyrodex or T-7. BP works just fine. Use a lube like SPG or Lyman's BP Gold. Cases must be washed and dried after shooting no matter what form of BP or sub is used.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to try loading,but I havent the space to accomodate. I have to sit with factory ammo for now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would not use Pyrodex or T-7. BP works just fine. Use a lube like SPG or Lyman's BP Gold. Cases must be washed and dried after shooting no matter what form of BP or sub is used.
Hey Daryl,
Why not T-7 or Pyro? I shot both in my new Uberti '76 yesterday and they worked fine. I also shot some 2ff elephant, which seemed to be the most accurate.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey Daryl,
Why not T-7 or Pyro? I shot both in my new Uberti '76 yesterday and they worked fine. I also shot some 2ff elephant, which seemed to be the most accurate.
: Yes - they go bang. All experimentation I've done with the substitutes shows them to be: less accurate, pressures and velocities jump around wihich is probalby the root cause of being less accurate, and their fouling is corrosive - at least pyrodex fouling is. I'm not sure about T-7. Black powder fouling isn't corrosive, but will cause rust in barrels and actions and react with brass cases if not cleaned soon and well after firing. Pyrodex fouling actually is corrosive - chemically jhwhereas BP fouling isn't.
We know Elephant brand black powder is the poorest of all makes of black powder for accuracy, amount of fouling and produced ballistics, yet it's even more accurate than the subs- interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts