Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have recently acquired a third generation 1873 Winchester in .22 short that serial dates to 1891. It was in pretty good shape when I got it, just caked in decades old grease that cleaned up nicely. It was missing the dustcover which doesn’t really bug me so I’ll either replace it or leave it as is soon. BUT, the magazine tube does not work. It was originally a 24” barrel and tube to match that was shortened to be 22”. The magazine tube spring seems to have too large of an OD, or there is a large amount of fowling within the walls that contain the spring. It was seeping grease and oil when I received it. I should be able to get a different spring to put in there since the body of the magazine looks fine and the Follower slides with ease, it’s just that the spring will compress for the first 7” or so and then get stuck, limiting my capacity. Does anyone here know how to disassemble the tube on a .22 short 1873? I’ve scavenged the internet and come up with nothing.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,654 Posts
Hey all, I have recently acquired a third generation 1873 Winchester in .22 short that serial dates to 1891. It was in pretty good shape when I got it, just caked in decades old grease that cleaned up nicely. It was missing the dustcover which doesn’t really bug me so I’ll either replace it or leave it as is soon. BUT, the magazine tube does not work. It was originally a 24” barrel and tube to match that was shortened to be 22”. The magazine tube spring seems to have too large of an OD, or there is a large amount of fowling within the walls that contain the spring. It was seeping grease and oil when I received it. I should be able to get a different spring to put in there since the body of the magazine looks fine and the Follower slides with ease, it’s just that the spring will compress for the first 7” or so and then get stuck, limiting my capacity. Does anyone here know how to disassemble the tube on a .22 short 1873? I’ve scavenged the internet and come up with nothing.
If you could post some photos, it will help. How is the bore, most were really in bad condition.

Have a photo that shows a Win 1873 in 22 short that was returned to the factory to have a Winchester
scope mounted and refinished around 1920

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you could post some photos, it will help. How is the bore, most were really in bad condition.

Have a photo that shows a Win 1873 in 22 short that was returned to the factory to have a Winchester
scope mounted and refinished around 1920
Here’s an image of my 1873, along with pictures of the spring getting caught and bunched up within the sleeve. The spring does not make it all the way to the Follower and it is pictured how far the Follower will go down before everything binds to the walls. Since it has been shortened, I think maybe the original owner put a different spring in it instead of cutting down the original?

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Since you said the follower moves freely I would look at the spring as the main issue. You said the tube was shortened to 22", possibly someone installed a new spring then and the one they used was just slightly too large.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts