Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a sweet Winchester model 70, pre-64(1951) rifle, and was curious as to what it would take to convert it to the Korean War era sniper version. It's got a Bausch & Lomb 2.5X8 scope on it, as is, with a slight indentation mark in the stock below the two screw holes on the left rear receiver, where I'd assume the Redfield rear peep sight was mounted, at one time. Source, price, availability, and any constructive advice, and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
146 Posts
does anybody have any pics of their win. model70 projects that they would share with us. i've been trying to create one of these rifles since i first got onto rifles (about 10 years ago) but with absolutly no luck:mad:. i still haven't gotten a pre64 model 70 rifle and still haven't got a unertl target scope yet; but i still haven't givin up hope:cool: but one day i'll be able to show you guys some pics. of mine...hopefully. thanks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
For the scope look up Gary Fellers in the Gun List / Shotgun News, he maybe able to find you a 10X or 12X 1.25 Combination scope ( more common tha 8X ). Let him know Sal sent you, he found me one for a Replica Marine 1941 Sniper Rifle ( 1903 Springfield ) same scope. I also have one on my for my Win. M70 Marine Sniper TBA is building for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
thanks for the info i'll look him up. i was woundering if you could tell me a little more about tba i've already looked up the website and wrote them about prices and asked if i need an early type pre64 you know the one with the early safety lever and if it had to be clip slotted but they never got back to me, that was a while back. once i get all the parts i need for the usmc m70 i'm also gonna send it to tba thats why i'm asking so i can get a better idea on wut i need for this project. thanks again

·
Registered
459 Posts
It will cost you less if you find a Long Action pre - 64 with a shot out barrel but a stock w/ the steel butt plate, any caliber. He replaces the barrel and beds the stock, installs the mounts plus accurizes the rifle. He has rifles some even WW2 Era which are more accurate. Call Mike Lau and talk to him, very experienced sniper builder and very friendly. He built me an M40A1 that is a tack driver, with the M70 close to completion and M14 / DMR next in line.

The hardest part is being patient, the waiting game! Call him, may take a few calls but its worth it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
usmc unertl 8x

also check out unertl optics i hear that they are making usmc -sniper marked 8x like the did in ww2 the wait is killing me!!!

·
Gold Bullet member
838 Posts
here are pics of my Mod 70 USMC sniper. i no longer his it, sold it off with the rest of my sniper collection.

·
Registered
459 Posts
probably w/ the Marine 1941 Sniper is the first TRUE long range sniper rifle, most compareable with todays LR firesticks.

·
Gold Bullet member
838 Posts
hi guys!! thanks for the complements. it was akinda hard letting this one go, i know i'll probably never find another one, but, i used the money to by a 1964 Sport Fury conv't w its original 426 wedge...gotta say, i have more fun with the car :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
hi guys!! thanks for the complements. it was akinda hard letting this one go, i know i'll probably never find another one, but, i used the money to by a 1964 Sport Fury conv't w its original 426 wedge...gotta say, i have more fun with the car :)
How long ago did you sell it? Is the new owner sick of it yet?

Just dreamin'.

·
Gold Bullet member
838 Posts
well, i sold them about a month ago. i had this Mod USMC and a real USMC M40 remington (pics enclosed) sold the pair for 20K

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yeah, I luckily also have an M40. But it is nice to know that the items that we lust for with little hope of ever finding actually are out there and not just figments of our imaginations. I should have about 20 good years left to collect, the Lord willing, and with a little luck, who knows...

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Snipernuts, Thanks for sharing the sweet pics with us! My Model 70 is too sweet to make into a sniper version, so I'm on the hunt for the goodies Sal listed earlier to make one out of an old beater pre-64.
Michael

1 - 20 of 20 Posts