Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Been lurking around here for a while. Great forum!!
I need a trigger for my Yugo M57 - found a guy with an M88A trigger for sale but I or he don't if they interchange without any hassles??
Please any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply -- wanted to stick with the mag safety factory notched trigger and like I said - wanted to see if they interchange. My m57 came with the new "safety trigger". wanted to keep factory parts!!
thanks again

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hello,
Been lurking around here for a while. Great forum!!
I need a trigger for my Yugo M57 - found a guy with an M88A trigger for sale but I or he don't if they interchange without any hassles??
Please any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
On a logical analysis, probably not.
AFAIK, the M88a grip-frame was designed only for 9mm Luger, while that on the M57 is deeper - designed for the longer 7.62x25 round and a wider front-to-back magazine. The 9mm M70a also essentially uses the M57 grip-frame, but with a spacer added to the back, to fit the narrower front-to-back 9mm magazine.
I believe the M88a trigger would have a shorter attached 'stirrup' - the part that encircles the magazine and bears on the trigger-spring. The M57 trigger stirrup would be too long to fit the M88a grip-frame.
Otherwise, when I get some time, I could dig out my M88a and M57, pop the grips and check.

Happy Motoring, Mark

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
rcsch5056 ----- I recently picked up a Yugo M57 in 7.62x25mm that seems to be a fine pistol. I also have a Norinco made Mod. 213 in 9mm which also seems to be a fine piece. The difference between the two are the calibers and the M57's grip is a little longer giving it one more round capacity than the Mod. 213. To make a longer story short I installed the Mod. 213's barrel and recoil spring in the M57 piece just to see if the Yugo would function with 9mm ammo. I used the M57's 7.62x25mm mag., loaded it with 3 rounds of 9mm ammo and took the M57 out back for a trial 3 shot run. Everything functioned without a hitch. The slide locked back after the last shot too. I don't intend to make a practice of this, but if 7.62x25mm ammo and cases become hard to find, it is good to know I could make these changes and keep on shooting the M57 with 9mm ammo.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
rcsch5056 ----- I recently picked up a Yugo M57 in 7.62x25mm that seems to be a fine pistol. I also have a Norinco made Mod. 213 in 9mm which also seems to be a fine piece. The difference between the two are the calibers and the M57's grip is a little longer giving it one more round capacity than the Mod. 213. To make a longer story short I installed the Mod. 213's barrel and recoil spring in the M57 piece just to see if the Yugo would function with 9mm ammo. I used the M57's 7.62x25mm mag., loaded it with 3 rounds of 9mm ammo and took the M57 out back for a trial 3 shot run. Everything functioned without a hitch. The slide locked back after the last shot too. I don't intend to make a practice of this, but if 7.62x25mm ammo and cases become hard to find, it is good to know I could make these changes and keep on shooting the M57 with 9mm ammo.
Ironically, for now 7.62x25 may be easier & cheaper to get than 9mm!

Happy Motoring, Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ironically, for now 7.62x25 may be easier & cheaper to get than 9mm!

Happy Motoring, Mark
Yep, we seem to have gone full circle (but at a much higher price point!), 7.62 is cheaper than 9mm right now. To take advantage of this, I have a Norinco T-54 that came with a 9mm barrel, I recently bought a 7.62 barrel ($54 from Numrich, they said FEG which would be Hungarian M48?). It dropped in and I've put a box of Tok through it without a hitch.
I got a few boxes of Yugo Tok, at least 1 vendor has a disclaimer that it's got hard primers and may not fire on the first shot... no problem at all with my gun.

T-54 vs 213; both Chinese Toks, but the T-54 keeps the wide magwell, and thus can use the standard Tok mags. It came with a pair of modified mags, with a spacer to the rear inside of the mag. For the record, I've had the gun for a couple decades, and have long used standard 7.62 mags loaded with 9mm rds. Never really had a problem feeding from those, even if they get staggered a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a logical analysis, probably not.
AFAIK, the M88a grip-frame was designed only for 9mm Luger, while that on the M57 is deeper - designed for the longer 7.62x25 round and a wider front-to-back magazine. The 9mm M70a also essentially uses the M57 grip-frame, but with a spacer added to the back, to fit the narrower front-to-back 9mm magazine.
I believe the M88a trigger would have a shorter attached 'stirrup' - the part that encircles the magazine and bears on the trigger-spring. The M57 trigger stirrup would be too long to fit the M88a grip-frame.
Otherwise, when I get some time, I could dig out my M88a and M57, pop the grips and check.

Happy Motoring, Mark
Mark - thanks for the info.
I'd appreciate you findings when you have time
Roy

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Mark - thanks for the info.
I'd appreciate you findings when you have time
Roy
Well, sometimes logic fails me.
I pulled my M88a and a 7.62x25 Polish TT tonight (My M57 Tokarev Zastavas are where I can't easily access them) Then I pulled the left grips and made some measurements. It appears while the M88a was designed for 9mm, the grip and mag-well tooling is the same width as the standard Tokarev pistol, but uses a shim in the well for the 9mm magazine, like my Zastava 9mm M70a and some 9mm Norincos.
As best as I can measure without actually removing the triggers, the trigger and stirrup size & length appear to be the same. The M88a stirrup does have a notch for the magazine-safety, while my Polish TT has no magazine safety or stirrup-notch. So as for M88 and M57 trigger interchangeability, I now say it's a very strong possibility.

Happy Motoring, Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, sometimes logic fails me.
I pulled my M88a and a 7.62x25 Polish TT tonight (My M57 Tokarev Zastavas are where I can't easily access them) Then I pulled the left grips and made some measurements. It appears while the M88a was designed for 9mm, the grip and mag-well tooling is the same width as the standard Tokarev pistol, but uses a shim in the well for the 9mm magazine, like my Zastava 9mm M70a and some 9mm Norincos.
As best as I can measure without actually removing the triggers, the trigger and stirrup size & length appear to be the same. The M88a stirrup does have a notch for the magazine-safety, while my Polish TT has no magazine safety or stirrup-notch. So as for M88 and M57 trigger interchangeability, I now say it's a very strong possibility.

Happy Motoring, Mark
Sorry for the delay - Thanks for the info - it helped.
Roy
Got the Original Zastava trigger I needed!!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Very interesting posts concerning M57, M88a, M70 mags. and other mags with spacers in them. I've only tried three 9mm luger 115 grain rounds in my M57 after installing the 9mm barrel from my Norinco Mod. 213 in the slide of the M57. As I mentioned above the M57 fed, fired and functioned very well with the three rounds. I believe I'll pick up another 9mm Mod. 213 barrel for future use in the M57. (( I don't really like using the barrel from my Norinco 213 since that pistol is mint and I'd like to keep it that way. I don't believe any more 213's will be coming in to the US. )) I reload ammo for 9mm luger and 7.62x25 mm using mostly hard cast lead bullets from Rim Rock Bullets. They work very well. I believe I could reload 9mm cases using 147 grain bullets seated far enough out of the case to the same overall length as 7.62x25 mm ammo. That way there should be no problem with over all length of the rounds to feed into the 9mm barrel using the 7.62x25mm magazine.
I have one more point to make in this post. I use an empty 7.62x25mm case in the barrel of the M57 piece to feel for trigger pull, I don't want to snap the hammer / firing pin on an empty chamber. I've noticed the trigger pull seems heavy when pulling the trigger using the last joint of my trigger finger. When pulling the trigger with the middle joint of my trigger finger it feels like the hammer falls with about half the pull weight than the pull using the last joint feels like. Has anyone else tried this pull test ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.