Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Winter project to compile a master list and pictures of my collection has expanded like Topsy to include a thorough cleaning as well.I am already through with most of them, and even the new(to me) Finn M39 didn't take forever.God Bless SWMBO for allowint the dining room table to be occupied for the past week

However,my 1899 M91 and my P/14 Enfield are still continuing to defy my efforts.I had never used Benchrest copper solvent, so all of the rifles gave up a good bit of copper, but eventually came out pretty clean.

I'm not getting any blue patches out of these other two, but have about 4 geezer hours of application of Gi Bore cleaner and the occasional JB bore paste for variety.Both rifles just laugh at CLP or Hoppe's spray on cleaner.I have already used over a can of the foaming stuff when I first got these rifles.

The GI Bore cleaner patches come out as black as the ace of spades after sitting 20 min or so.Am I actually accomplishing anything here, or is it a chemical reaction?I will be shooting mainly my cast loads through these, so I intend to order some cowboy action lead solvent when I either get these two clean or quit.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
874 Posts
Use the rod with dc voltage and baking soda wash found in the workbench area.

·
Gold Bullet Member
321 Posts
I use CLP, Hoppe's and Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner. I removed enough lead to kill a small child. What really worked was patience and time. The bad ones take several attempts and a lot of patches.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Time for a new product - " Mosin Bore Cleaner - Extra Strength " . I keep cleaning mine as well. There seem to be an area in them of lead/copper of unending depth.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This comes up every now and again and I am astounded at the way people OBSESS about a clean bore. My question to those people is this: Why does it matter? If it shoots well and there is no active rust, why risk damaging or reducing the life of the bore for some shine?

I expend a reasonable amount of effort to clean the bores of new acquisitions and let them alone if there is no rust. Most shoot well and get cleaner over time. However, as they get cleaner over time, I seldom notice an increase in accuracy....so why spend all that time, effort and product?

·
Super Moderator
3,416 Posts
I'm with jaz5833.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,747 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,747 Posts

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
I assume that the collectors here feel its appropriate to just clean a bore , grease it up and the weapon is done. There is merit in that
for those who collect and are not shooting their weapons. Or shoot them rarely.

I think there is merit (and I do this) to taking any weapon that you intend to shoot and take it down to surgical clean in the bore and then
from that point forward clean it post shooting till patches come out light gray and that is it. Some weapons are going to yield gray and never
white patches. My NEW 1915 Mosin is one of them. To clean such weapons every time post shooting to surgical clean puts more wear on their
bores and is a waste of my time. Although I use the Otis cleaning system and very little wear can occur, the effort to pull for white patches from a bore
is just not worth it to my way of thinking.

To get the weapon once down as clean as it can be and then shoot / clean it rationally from that point forward is fine to my thinking. To take out decades of half great cleaning and elimination of the crap that is in those bores is a good thing if you are intending to shoot the weapon. Case in point, one
of my Jungle carbines took 12 plus treatments of foaming bore cleaner to finally get clean. Took over 14 days effort. It finally stopped flowing blue crud and black pitch. It now shoots great and is easy to clean but...it always will yield light grey patches.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
This comes up every now and again and I am astounded at the way people OBSESS about a clean bore. My question to those people is this: Why does it matter? If it shoots well and there is no active rust, why risk damaging or reducing the life of the bore for some shine?

I expend a reasonable amount of effort to clean the bores of new acquisitions and let them alone if there is no rust. Most shoot well and get cleaner over time. However, as they get cleaner over time, I seldom notice an increase in accuracy....so why spend all that time, effort and product?
1+ This Man knows what he is talking about! You don't eat off the bore! You shoot a lead bullet or jacketed bullet down it and try to hit the target. When you think about what goes on in that bore do you expect it to be clean and sanitized? Shoot and clean properly each and every time and even bad and ugly bores will improve with time. For Heavens sake get a life and get out of the bore! Pardon the pun He He! Bill

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
Bill, I agree fully but I think most folks run a few patches of Hoppes down the snout and call it a day. Fine enough
for non shooters but for a shooting weapon, I think the effort to take it down as clean as possible ONCE and then adopt
a normal cleaning regime afterward is the way to go. Usually , 99% of time with milsurps that is two to three foam bore
cleaning sessions and the bore is just fine. On some like that one jungle carbine, the amount of garbage in that bore was
so layered and seared in there, I am glad that I was tenacious and got it out. It now does not foul up and is easily cleaned.

But.. to each his own.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I keep forgetting whether it is Tipton or Tilton but they are the best far outlasting Deweys or what ever you use. I have broken one, it fell out of the truck while I was backing up and I ran it over. Seriously they are bullet proof! It is kevlar or FRP or something and nothing impregnates it and after three years the two I now have are hanging tough and nothing other than my stupidity seems to effect them. They make a million sizes and I have a real long 22 caliber and a little bit shorter 30 caliber. I think one of them is 42 inches long if I am remembering right. Size it to clean the M91 rifle as it seems to be my longest rifle in the Milsurp vein, the black powder ones are another story as they are really long! Bill

·
Registered
602 Posts
X 10 on the Tipton cleaning rods. Finally sprung for one last year and I'll never go back! I used to be of that mindset (bore must be pristine!) but no more. I completely agree with above posts that a grey patch is good to go on some of my rifles and that ultimately, shooting/cleaning is the way to go rather than days and days of scrubbing. The electronic cleaning method has value for SOME rifles, but is a one time deal in my book. (and only for an especially nasty bore)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts