Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine got himself a Norinco MAK90 that we took out for the first time awhile back and he loved it. (I am trying my best to turn him into a milsurp nut) But, he doesn't care for the 'thumhole' stock setup. I found a cheap for East German AK furniture using the traditional pistol grip and buttstock setup. It looks like it will go on the MAK 90 with no problems...but have any of y'all tried it? If there is any fitting required, exactly what has to be done? Is it worth the trouble? The EG furniture set costs but $40...

·
Silver Bullet member
287 Posts
It will take some fitting, as the MAK90 receiver is thicker, so you'll have to thin the buttstock and the lower handguard where they enter the receiver. Some MAK90's were angle cut at the rear of the receiver, not allowing a proper fit of the butt. If that's the case, either an Ironwood butt or one of the polymer Dragunov style stock sets would need to be used. When changing from the thumbhole, you will need to meet 922r regulations, which means no more than 10 foreign parts in your rifle. You will have to change out 5 parts for US made parts if your barrel isn't threaded, 6 if it is and you use a muzzle device. Get a US stock set and that's 3 parts. A fire control group (FCG) is three more. Commonly used US parts also include mag floorplates, mag followers, gas pistons, muzzle devices, and receivers if you are building from a kit. Here's a pic of my MAK that I de-banned. I use the US FCG, floorplate, follower and slant brake for compliance, the wood is original Chinese.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,365 Posts
The East German furniture is unique. But unless you really like that style I would not put it on a Chinese rifle. Theerer are other choices in woodc that are more appropriate tto the rifle. As noted above there are fir considerations and 922 compliance parts. I think Northridge has the EG furniture cheaper than $40 if you go that route.
Check polytech for Chinese components.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts