Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if a NICE M44 will out shoot the typical refurb 91/30 most sellers call good or very good bore. I want something to shoot at the range that will put me on a fair shooting plain with the guys that shoot the 91/30.

Most of them r refurb. 100-150 specials from gun shows or off GB. I have found what looks to be a pristine bore and appearance 1946 M44 locally. We shoot 100,200.250 yds right now and a 500 yd is being built right next to us but is not finished. You can shoot scope or open sights. Being 65 I want to shoot scope. Yesterday a guy hit the horn at 250 16 times in a row with open sights!! Young flat belly, probably 25 yrs old. What can I expect from the m44. No finns, or REAL sniper rifles r allowed. All that is available locally in the 91/30s r the typical refurbs. Most if not all I have seen don't have the depth of grooves or the shinny bore of the m44 I found.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
Depends on the rifle, ammo, the shooter, weather,......

It's...possible. The best Mosin Nagant carbines I have ever had the pleasure to shoot are the 91/59's.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
You will find the longer sight plane of the 91-30s will be easier to fire - M44s with a shorter barrel and louder blast could be more difficult to fire accurately. Possible, yes, easy no....

Pahtu.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Depends on the rifle, ammo, the shooter, weather,......

It's...possible. The best Mosin Nagant carbines I have ever had the pleasure to shoot are the 91/59's.
Rocker98 nailed it. There are many variables. However, the best shooting carbines I have ever handled are the 91/59's. The ones that I have owned and shot were closer on par with my Finn's than anything the Soviets produced.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is a 91/59? R they hard to come by? Where can one find them? Cost?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Rarely will one of my dozen or so carbines (M44, M38, M91/59) shoot 2" at 50 yards. But many of my 91/30's will do it with regularity. I am talking about 10 to 20 shots within a few minutes....not the occasional 3 shot wonder group. Amazingly, bore condition is not usually a factor.

Of course this is with proper shimming of the receiver and ammo the rifle likes. The majority of my Mosins do well with the current batch of Russian copper-washed steel cased surplus.

Others results may be different. I'm interested to hear.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok well the mosins I have r all either finn marked or dragoons that I don't believe will shoot with the bores of the rifles I am shooting against. All my dragoons have wear on them though not worn out or counterbored. I guess I thought the newer issue 91/30s with strong boring would outshoot my used dragoons.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
...and, as others have said above...a carbine will RARELY, if ever, outperform a rifle...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bet an elusive '45+ 91/30 would give you an advantage, my '45 has a pristine bore and prefect crown. When I brought it home and cleaned the barrel, the patch came out with nothing but cosmoline on it. All my other mosins consistently give black patches

·
Diamond Bullet Member and the Revered Sir Jim
48,526 Posts
I have shot the National Match Coures with a variety of mosin nagant rifles. At the 200 yard off hand slow fire not much difference, but the 91/59 shot best. On the 200 yard seated rapid fire, my m44 came to point quicker. 300 and 600 yard the m39 was best. I haven't had the chance to use my 91/30s on the 600. But, the short sighting of the m44 on the 600 was quite dificult for me to shoot and score. I would like to take the 91/30s on the 600. I am not a "good" shooter. 350/500 is a good day for me. They can be quite quirky on what loads they like. Same round in different rifles will produce different results in my experience. This has been my experience, and I have no quibble with others that have had different results. What does produce a big difference is shooting the same gun with the same round time after time in practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.