Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard or seen of any wildcat ctg's based on the 303 or 54R I have been toying with the idea of a 303/375 or even 303/400 since there is alot of 40 cal cast designs avail. just for cast bullets same with the 54R might have to take some case taper out though. I considered the krag case but its a little longer than the 303. Or has anyone coverted a or seen a converted Enfield to fire and reliably feed the 444 ctg. I know that SSK has 375 JDJ based on the 444 brass. just bouncing ideas around!!!:)

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Wildcat .303 and 7,62R

Everything old is new again.

Both cartridges have been wildcatted into all the "common" hunting diameters( .22,.243.25, .26(6,5mm), .270, 7mm, 7,9mm ("8") and .35 for the .303 are some of the conversions. There is also a .303/375 as well ("9,5mm").

And when these are used in a Mauser actioned P14 set up, can get the same performance as American darlings such as the .257 Roberts, the 358 Winchester, the .220 Swift etc.

The Finns (and the Russians) have a more limited field, as "Wildcatting" is a Gunsmith thing, and the ammo is then mostly factory made...but there is a 5,6x54R, a 6,35x54R, a 6,5x53R, a 7x54R, a 8x54R and a 9x54R.

Expanding out in both cartridge cases is the lesser of the wildcats, there being (in both) an 8mm (either .323 or .328), a ".35" ( .354/8 or 9mm) and a .375 ( or 9,5mm)

If one adds the .410 Indian Musket (Ball) cartridge, one could say as well there is a ".420 "or so as well.

Wildcatting on your own...stick to the proven and tried calibres, for which barrels are available.
.444 Marlin cases are also slighlty larger than normal .303 cases ( .467 vs .455) but under the size of Russian cases ( .485 or so)

Both Lee-Enfields and Mosins have been made into rifles which feed 45/70 (much larger rim, .600 vs. .560 for Russian, and .530 for .303)

So one could add a whole slew of .45/70 based cases ( which are about 56 mm long to fit in the magazine) in different calibres ( .33 WRA, .40/65, even 8x52 Siamese or 8x56R Mannlicher...These are all factory cartridges, so it begs the question,
With so many Factory calibres (current or obsolete) which could be used in a action (SMLE or Mosin) Why Bother wildcatting???? Re-invent the wheel, maybe?

Unless you have a real Klunker of a rifle ( a Bubba job, too far gone for Restoration) I would consider a Wildact on either of these actions to be an excercise in Futility...the pressure limitations, the wide range of existing Factory cartridges already around, and the work that may be required to assemble your own personal .395 Rimmed Lee Special, or your 10,25mm Khazakstan Express...just the cost of the barrel would put the rest of the expense in the shade....

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I, for one, would LOVE to have a 6.3x53R Finnish barreled to shoot bullets in the 120-150gr range, with a max pressure of around 45k-50k psi. If at all possible, I'd like to get a MN action (chewed up, or ruined barrel) and re-barrel/chamber it to 6.3x53R. The traditional 1:9.5" twist would probably work well for the bullet weight ranges I'd prefer, too.

EDIT: found the correct designation for the Finnish cartridge (.258" calibration) derived from the x54R.

EDIT AGAIN: carcano pointed out that I had the 6.5x53 Mannlicher (Dutch, .303 derived) linked, changed to the correct Finnish cartridge.

(>_<) Doh!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The great thing about a hobby is that it doesn't need to make economic sense. If you dearly want an unusual wildcat, and have the money to make it happen, I say do it.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks DocAV You are by far the most knowledgable guy I know about subjects like this and glad you chimed in. Yes I know There is the cost issue's that come with ctg conversions But it also pays to have a gunsmith as a friend that has the tools to use. The reason I ask in my original post about the 303 is because in my issue of ctg.'s of the world book there arent any listed based on the 303,Also I just really like the#4 Enfield action and I do have a clunker rifle that I wanted to bring back to life as a Bigger Bore cast bullet shooter, Yes I know there are bigger and better rifles more suitable for a job like this! I wanted to keep things as simple as possible thus the reason for the 303 case again Best to feed a rifle with a basic case it was designed to But with a bigger bullet, I think feeding issues would be minimal. As far as strength issues? with big cast bullets at the est. range of 800-1800 fps. I dont feel thats a problem. As I said before this may never go past the planning stage Just doing some research at this point and seeing what my possibilites are in the 375-40 cal. And indeed good names Sir .395 Rimmed Lee Special, or your 10,25mm Khazakstan Express !!!!!If I ever do this one of those or something very much like it will adorn the barrel ! Thanks , Tim

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You're right. I fixed it. I had simply linked the wrong one...

Even so, to rebarrel an Enfield for the Dutch 6.5x53r Mannlicher would be a nice proposition.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have blown out a 7.62x54R case, shortened it a little, and turned down the base a little, and shot 450 Marlin loads in a .410 shotgun.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
"Even so, to rebarrel an Enfield for the Dutch 6.5x53r Mannlicher would be a nice proposition." sort of a neat,weird, full circle thing going on there, lots of 6.5x53R dutch rifles converted to .303 now someone wants to go the opposite way round.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Ya learn somethin' new every day...

^Is that so? Interesting... I wasn't aware of the Dutch Mannlicher cartridge being that popular, but then again, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to European sporting/military cartridges apart from the obvious fare (8mm, 7.62x54R, .303, 6.5x55, etc)

As it stands now, I'm VERY interested in building either a (.257") 6.3x53R or (.264") 6.5x54R target/sporter from a M-N action. (don't worry, I'm not gonna ruin a collectible!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts