Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good wild hog recipes. Got my first two sows in a trap yesterday and now have two coolers filled with pork. I didn't find anything through the search, so hopefully this isn't a tired subject.

Anyone try making hams with them? It would be nice to share some wild hog ham for the holidays, but I'm thinkin bbq pork or sausage might be just as good.

Any info would be helpful. I read that you soak the meat in vineger water and others say salt water or just salt rub first.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BBQ turned out great

North Carolina style vineger and red pepper worked out excellent. I baked 4 front shoulders in a pan covered with foil and only spiced with salt, pepper, and around 2-3 cups of vineger. Baked 4 hours at 250F, then pulled the meat off and threw into the crockpot to finish with more vineger, red pepper, salt and pepper. I served it to friends that evening and everyone thought it tasted wonderful. A little tabasco or Texas ******* brand BBQ sauce kicked it up a notch as well. Only one person out of about 12 thought it tasted gamey.

Now I'm going to try my hand at making hams and backstrap chops.

Time to go check the trap again and see if there is any more Christmas presents waiting for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in east Texas (land of Hurrican Rita and Ike) and they are definately tearing up the land around here. I am getting rid of them from the property I manage for the same reasons although I don't have the luxury of using a helicopter even if you could see em through all the trees. They use them on the gulf coast though. They're pretty hard to find, but they love the sweet corn I put out for em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.