Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
I did some reading, and yes most places have the sake fraud protection now. But I can see where it would be much less of an inconvenience to have a credit card hacked vs a debit card (IF its directly linked to your main checking account)

Paypal had my money refunded within ten minutes of calling to report the charge. They had me a new card in a week.

Luckily this wasn't my banks debit card, because YES they would have immediately and 100% refunded all charges and any resulting overdraft, but I would have had to go without access to the money for possibly up to two weeks and have to set any auto debits and deposits up with the new account

So, I'll be using a credit card from now on. Even the linked PayPal card could have gotten me in trouble if they would have charged several charges on different days less than $600 each (I had a max set)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

· Banned
1,325 Posts
its fact, i just bought 100 rounds of imi 7.62 from them and week later i was called by my cc company and they canceled my card and sending me new 1, suspicious activity,and charges they know i would never make over my credit limit.so that was the card i used and now im getting a new 1 so something happened there. that was last time i used that cc.was @ wideners. i NEVER USE MY BANK CARD ON INTERNET ANYMORE , WHY I HAVE 2 CC's with low limits just for that reason. internet shopping.and my paypal has been phished before as well, if you use a pc there is a person out there looking to steal that info , i use low limit cards only on net now always. And paypal is pretty quick to fix things like that they took care of it right away , all i had to do was change all my passwords. And you cant lay the blame on wideners because a hacker got into their system for all we know was the gov looking for info on who all bought what and made it look like fraud , i do not trust any of them dems in power right now or doubt anything they would try and pull, i have bought many many times from wideners first prob ever. but its a known fact the nsa and atf are looking to gather info on people buying gun parts and ammo online or guns. Dont be fooled they are gathering info man,fact.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah, it seems like the majority of the people who have Bought from Wideners recently were hit, that's what makes this such a big deal, if I had bought from them recently, I'd just have my card canceled.

· Administrator
3,388 Posts
yes, not sure why people would say debit cards are less secure than credit cards? I guess it depends on your bank? But most major banks treat them the same.

For on-line shopping, use a debit or credit card with a limit, not attached to any other account if you can help it.

I dislike American Express because they charge a large amount if you use them as a CC - however, they are probably the easiest to immediately dispute a charge.

On my debit card last Nov/Dec I was called by the fraud dept, there was three charges, they stopped them and took care of it right then. Cancelled my card and said they'd send me a new one. That was supposed to fix it, but the next day, ANOTHER charge came up, I called and since it wasn't the fraud dept, it had to go from pending, then charged, then cancelled, etc, took a week to sort out and no funds were available (I only use this account for fun stuff for me, so not much money in it).

I have worked in PCI (credit card protection) for years and numerous problems on their site means they have not fixed their issues. I would imagine since they are not a multi-million dollar credit biz they get overlooked by Visa/Mastercard protection, but technically everyone who uses their systems (cards) are supposed to have protections in place for their credit servers and infrastructure, but many companies just shrug their shoulders. If Visa/Mastercard gets mad, they can Shut-off their CC usage. Most companies will go bankrupt if their ability to use CC is turned off, so they quickly start to fix their issues. But first they have to get onto their radar and it sounds like Wideners doesn't care that much??

· Registered
17,764 Posts
Had my debt card # used by someone in Michigan a few years ago. Right when the charge took place had a call from my bank. Quickly they canceled the card and the transaction. This is not 1924.. you should be covered regardless of it being debt or credit unless you are using a disreputable bank.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Had my debt card # used by someone in Michigan a few years ago. Right when the charge took place had a call from my bank. Quickly they canceled the card and the transaction. This is not 1924.. you should be covered regardless of it being debt or credit unless you are using a disreputable bank.
Only problem is if the fraud protection doesn't stop the purchase then with a debit card you have to file paperwork to get your money back where with a credit card you just have to file paperwork against a charge you haven't paid yet

· Registered
5,858 Posts
I ordered a crate of 5.45x39 from them in early march.....March 16th, had two emails from my bank. Called on a sat morning, talked to their fraud department. Someone was ordering 1500 bucks of wine from new york, buying rap music from new york, and trying to spend several thousand of MY dollers. They stopped all of it, we paid nothing. They canceled my card, and I have a new one. It should be a CAPITAL CRIME to commit this kind of fraud. My wife recently had a $3,000 surgery that we paid for. Had someone stolen this money from us, we'd have been screwed paying the medical bill off. A bullet to the head for these kinds of people. They are WORTHLESS, and do not deserve to live if they feel they are entitled to MY hard earned money for FREE.

Sorry, but I am serious. Make it a capital crime.

And until wideners addresses this, I will purchase from them no more.

· Registered
1,476 Posts
"Pretty sure they'll clean their own house, or whoever processes their cards, but until then, many hundreds of people are still getting screwed.

The few that have gotten thru on the phone to them have been told, "Well, there's no problem here."
Accept responsibility for your actions and fix the problem."

They had the same Sgt. Schultz attitude the last time this happened on their site. "Oh well, wasn't us that got screwed, we dunno what those hundreds of customers are talkin' 'bout". Uh, yeah, riiiight ..........

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
Not necessarily. Credit card losses are limited by federal law - most issuers not bothering to try and screw you on the $55550 max the law allows. Debit cards only by bank policies and civil case law on responsibilities. Best to check what yours are.

For myself I stick with credit cars - pay them off every month in full. And get 1% cash back or discounts on the department store ones. And no annual fee. I suspect this is being paid for by the outrageous interest charges on those who can't resist overspending, but that's their problem.

BTW the ATM Zero Day Holocaust is approaching. Come April 8 Microsoft will no longer be updating the security on the 95% of ATMs that still use the Windows XP operating system. There's several ways to access these remotely, record your account no. and PIN and then drain your bank account. And the fixes - from either 3rd parties hired by the bank or a new OS installation, - will be after you are broke. Zero Day comes from the unfortunate fact that the first warning is big chunks of money gone missing. You have Zero Days to fix it.

Forget the inaccurate BS I posted - in italics. It was a gross exaggeration by a major computer security company. It seems that you need access to the USB port on the ATM for that. So if you see anyone loitering around an ATM with a drill, hacksaw, and USB cable please inform the proper authorities.

· Registered
75 Posts
On 3/21, the day I noticed the fraudulent charges, I sent Widener's an email about it. At that time, I didn't know about all the other customers that had their cards compromised. I'm pretty sure they have been getting a lot of complaints, as is only right. After all, this is costing them money in lost sales, now and in the future, until they can show they have a very secure system.
Today, 3/26, I received a reply from Widener.

"Thank you for your email regarding your credit card.
Our internet provider is currently investigating possible
unauthorized access to Widener's payment card data.

We keep credit card numbers on file only for a short period
so any breach is extremely limited; however, we are taking this
very seriously and have already reviewed and strengthened our security procedures.

This is a great shock to us and believe me, we are working very hard to
understand how this happened and to make sure it can't happen in the future.

It takes time to fully investigate what happened, but we are continuously
working on it. The extra security features we have just installed will protect against future unauthorized activity.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, and we will assist you in resolving this problem.

Sincerely,

Stan Widener, President
Widener's Reloading & Shooting Supply, Inc."

· Registered
75 Posts
harry,

How long ago was your last purchase from them?
This is very recent. I initially made my purchase on 3/7. They charged my account on 3/11 or 3/14, I don't have the details handy. On Fri., 3/21 the fraudulent charges were made, which I reported to my bank on the same day.

I have seen posts on other boards where purchases were a week or so before mine, and a week or so after, and they got hacked as well.

· Registered
75 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. I think i should be fine; my last purchase from them was last june.
I've never had a problem with all the purchases, mostly ammo, all the years I've been dealing with them, until now.
I did run across an obscure thread about this happening in 2012. One guy ALSO was charged with Quatar Airlines tickets, same as me. Pretty weird. I don't want to profile any one, but I have my ideas.

· Registered
256 Posts
I'm thinking the way to order from Wideners from now on, is to go to WalMart or something and get a prepaid debit card in the amount of whatever you're buying. No risk of losing money because there won't be any on the card after you make the purchase. Use it, toss it after you receive your goods.

I think I'm going to start doing that for a lot of my online buying. I buy everything but groceries online basically, so I need to be more careful.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.