Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
This is getting way too common. Most vulnerable are debit cards, and you have few protections from charges with them if you don't get it in time. But all the credit card issuers seem hinky, and Chase, our Visa issuer, will call and email if there's a purchase out of the ordinary. They'd NEVER approve a $7500 one without authorization unless it was something I did a lot.

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
Had my debt card # used by someone in Michigan a few years ago. Right when the charge took place had a call from my bank. Quickly they canceled the card and the transaction. This is not 1924.. you should be covered regardless of it being debt or credit unless you are using a disreputable bank.
Not necessarily. Credit card losses are limited by federal law - most issuers not bothering to try and screw you on the $55550 max the law allows. Debit cards only by bank policies and civil case law on responsibilities. Best to check what yours are.

For myself I stick with credit cars - pay them off every month in full. And get 1% cash back or discounts on the department store ones. And no annual fee. I suspect this is being paid for by the outrageous interest charges on those who can't resist overspending, but that's their problem.

BTW the ATM Zero Day Holocaust is approaching. Come April 8 Microsoft will no longer be updating the security on the 95% of ATMs that still use the Windows XP operating system. There's several ways to access these remotely, record your account no. and PIN and then drain your bank account. And the fixes - from either 3rd parties hired by the bank or a new OS installation, - will be after you are broke. Zero Day comes from the unfortunate fact that the first warning is big chunks of money gone missing. You have Zero Days to fix it.

Forget the inaccurate BS I posted - in italics. It was a gross exaggeration by a major computer security company. It seems that you need access to the USB port on the ATM for that. So if you see anyone loitering around an ATM with a drill, hacksaw, and USB cable please inform the proper authorities.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.